Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I woke up this morning and (this is usual) - my laptop had shutdown itself down, so powered on

and noticed straight away that a windows update had occurred as it then continued from 30%.

the computer had been running fine and had previously been playing a youtube video.

once started up though, there was no internet - in device manager there is no wireless device,

these can be found if you tick "show hidden devices". Also there is no bluetooth available.

the hidden wireless devices are: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160Mhz and Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter x 2

and everything under bluetooth.

one thing that is strange is that there is a problem with a USB device, saying:

"unknown usb device device descriptor request failed"

note here that there are no devices plugged into the usb slots

i have tried removing the device, and in fact all of the usb controllers, rebooting and the same thing appears.

i have tried updating, uninstalling the last windows update, updating drivers from intel for bluetooth and wireless.

the laptop was plugged in at all times.

i am able to post this now as i am connected through the ethernet.

has anybody else had a problem since an update - or something similar?

thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Ok, so I do not think this was a Windows Update issue.

I looked in the Bios diagnostics and it said in all its tests that there was no Wireless component.

So having Googled the help pages - most HP laptops can be power reset.

For anyone else with this problem then follow the advice on this page:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01684768#c01684768_nonremovablebatt

Seems to work now - have Bluetooth, Wireless and the mystery problem USB has gone also.

Just waiting for it to happen again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.