Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Product Serial: F9H60UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Should I try to fix it, or should I factory reset the laptop?

I have an old laptop that's originally window's 8, but I don't know if it's been updated to a later version. I'm trying to see what I can do with it, but for some reason, I can't access the internet, and if I try to plug any usb in, it sees that it's in, but for some reason is unable to read or open it (and no eject usb option is available). The network button is white instead of orange when it's fully booted up (I can't toggle it either) and when I go to look for open networks, nothing shows up. I've checked to see if airplane mode is on, and I don't know if it is, since when I click it, it doesn't show that it's either off or on. I've tried updating drivers for the usb, bluetooth, and network. Nothing has helped.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it originally came with W8.1 64 bit from HP.

HP 15-g019wm Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

I recommend you reinstall W8.1 and start fresh.

You can try factory resetting the notebook first.

HP PCs - Resetting Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 😎 | HP® Customer Support

If that doesn't work...

Using another Windows PC, you can download the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

Boot from the installation media by pressing the ESC key right after you turn on the notebook to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu from the list and then select the bootable device with the W8.1 installation media you made (DVD or USB flash drive), and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the installation media and the installation process should begin.

If you had to clean install W8.1 you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP 15-g019wm Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

You need this wifi driver to get the wireless to work...

This package contains the driver installation package for the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series wireless LAN Controller in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70859.exe

HP Recommended

When I try to factory reset the laptop, I get to the last part, then is said something along the lines of "Something went wrong, nothing happened." 

I then downloaded (on a seperate computer) both the bit file and the microsoft tool and used the tool to do something to the file onto a usb drive.

I then tried to see what you were talking about pressing escape when I booted it up, and it did nothing.

And as I've said before, the usb plug-ins or software doesn't work, so that may be the reason as to nothing new happening with anything I plug into it.

HP Recommended

It's possible that there is a hardware issue for which I wouldn't have any idea how to fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.