Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion g6 1371ea Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All,

Trying to fix a family members laptop- the WiFi light is orange, and WiFi wont work.

When I go to network adapters it doesn't show a wireless network adapter.

Run all normal troubleshooters, updates etc but no joy.

I've opened the back to check what type of wireless card, downloaded the driver but still not working.

I downloaded HP Connection Manager and shows no WiFi or bluetooth adapter.

Followed another guide that said remove the battery, restart and hit F10, and reset to original settings but no luck.

Help please!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

From what you have posted, most likely the wifi card is dead and needs to be replaced.

If you have not done so already try removing and firmly reseating the wifi adapter as a troubleshooting step.

Sometimes the contacts get oxidized over time and the electrical connection is lost.

Leave the antenna wires connected if you can to facilitate an easy reinstallation.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

c03094322.pdf (hp.com)

If removing and reseating the wifi adapter doesn't resolve the problem and your family member wants the notebook fixed, then you must replace the adapter with the same part number you see on the 'Replace with HP spare label,' since that model series has a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of any other model wifi card.

You should be able to find replacement cards on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card, and only buy one where you see an actual photo of the card for sale with the part number clearly showing.

Otherwise your only other option would be to use a USB wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.

I did wonder if it was the WiFi card.

I've found out someone else deleted the card from network adaptors and the laptop won't find it, so hopefully it's dead then will recognise it when I replace it. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

IMG_20210406_200515.jpg

Something has happened, but the WiFi card is undamaged? Can't see any blown chips underneath without stripping it all. 

HP Recommended

Looks like the card got very hot and scorched the aluminum heat shield.

If it is a Ralink RT5390 model wifi card, that happens rather frequently.

HP Recommended

Certainly is that card! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.