Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Poor WiFi range/speed on Elitebook 1030

Elitebook 1030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new Elitebook 1030 is getting poor WiFi performance.

The speed is only good if I am within 4 metres line of sight of the router, and only if I boot up from there, not boot up further away and move closer.

As I move further away the speed drops off quickly, and the speed is very irratic on speedtest.net

The 1030 has an AC 8260 card. As a direct comparison my Dell laptop with an AC 7265 gets faster speeds close to the router and does not drop off until I am a long way from the router, and on speedtest its performance chart is dead flat.

In fact at the range where the Dell is starting to lose speed on speedtest, the 1030 is struggling to download and keeps dropping out, in otherwords not useable.

Both the 1030 and the HP have the same adapter settings in device manager, and the same settings within the power profiles.

It is not bloatware because I have tried a clean install and used the latest drivers.

Do you think it is a flakey card? Or is the hardware overriding the wifi card power settings?

It is only 1 week old and I am reluctant to put it in for service as I expect they will only check if the wifi works, not how well it works. 

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
21603 21422 1827 6859
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Poor WiFi range/speed on Elitebook 1030

@Melb-HP

• First, if you have not done so, check for a firmware update for your router

• Set the SSID for 5GHz differently than for equipment running on 2.4 GHz (use a different SSID name)

• Set the Transmit power to highest setting (may already be done)

Some ideas:

Settings to Improve Wireless Connectivity

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Just because you submit to open a support case does not automatically mean you must send in the Notebook -- you can discuss the issue with a Business  Systems Support  representative.

HP Elitebook 1030 G1 Notebook PC - Support Options

Click on "Get Help from HP"

Submit your inquiry - contact information will be provided.

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation