5 4 1 4
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Possible Solution For ALL Your Wireless Device Keeps Disabling Issues

EliteBook ZBook Other HP Lapt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi cpullen32, and others in this Wireless Issues List

I'm a Level 2 HP Enterprise Services Contract Deskside Support Tech for an Automotive Industry Supplier who leases HP EliteBooks and other types of HP Laptops and desktops.   So we work on HP laptops and desktops extensively.

When we began getting these tickets for our users (just a handful over the past year) who all of a sudden lose their wireless connection - and pressing the wireless radio signal button does no good, we tried everything the other experts on this forum topic of discussion have suggested.  We tried updating the BIOS, enabling/disabling the device in the BIOS, tried uninstall/reinstall of the device in Device Manager, disabled the Power Management setting in the properties panel, tried updating the wireless NIC driver, etc.  Nothing worked.

When you hover the mouse cursor over the wireless icon in the system tray, (which has the red X through it), there would be no list of available wireless networks.  Pressing the button had no effect.

We have discovered, don't know why yet, that if we boot the computer to a LINUX OS using a LINUX boot stick, then as soon as the computer finishes booting up to the LINUX desktop, we shut it down and remove the flash drive and let it boot back to Windows as normal, VIOLA!   Wireless adapter has re-enabled magically and the available networks list pops back up on the Windows desktop and it's enabled again.

I've tried registering and logging on  and supplying this answer to the forum list but I can't find the "Reply" or "Post Comment" button.  So I'm sending this via PM.

If you have a Post button or "Reply" button for the forum list, please copy my comments from this private message to the topic discussion.  Hopefully it will help others.

Thanks!

Kim Mouser

kmo1117

1 REPLY 1
donsmitty
Level 2
26 24 0 1
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Possible Solution For ALL Your Wireless Device Keeps Disabling Issues

thank you for another possible solution. i will research how to do this and wonder why HP does not offer to fix this through their support team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation