Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce3501na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

So I recently had to use my old laptop again. It's OLD. I think it's full of bugs, viruses, malware, spyware -  the works. I connected it to my home wifi and I also had my new HP notebook sitting on my desk. This new laptop was also turned on and connected to the same wifi. I soon noticed something. I was running a few tasks on the old laptop which was struggling to run smoothly well and then my new laptop's fan started working extra hard, it's CPU usage spiked. I know it's normal for any laptop to experience surges in CPU from random processes turning on but I immediately began to worry that the viruses in the old laptop were infecting the new one via the home wifi. I'm only asking about this because almost as soon as I disconnected the old laptop, the new one quietened down and CPU returned to normal. I also don't know if this is relevant but their power charges were connected to the same socket.  If anyone knows what might of gone on, please make a suggestion. I understand this might be an odd one. 

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello,

I do not know what exactly happened back then, but it is definitely not a virus/malware that has jumped from one PC to another. These threats don't just fly from one device to the other one, no "jumping" is possible unless you had a very rare specific non-secure configuration and a very few specific malware. Laptos are not humans and they do not have CoViD-19, threats act in a different ways

• In addition to the above, considering that your new PC runs a modern OS like Windows 10 and its default configuration, I bet this was not caused by malware
Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi there, 

Thank you for the useful information. Somewhat reassured. And I can't help but suspect I've been primed from watching too much news on the outbreak - to the point that I'm contemplating my PC's immunity from Covid-19 😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.