Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Presario CQ60-211
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I am looking for an updated driver for the Atheros AR5007 wireless LAN.  Specifically, I am hoping the update will support 5 GHZ capability.  This is not easy to locate.  I looked in the forum listings but the only driver noted for my laptop was not the same model as I have installed originally.

Any idea of a source for a driver update?  Does this device support other than 2.4 GHZ frequencies?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is a hardware limitation.

The card only works on the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Anytime you see a wireless card with a model suffix that ends in b/g or b/g/n, that means it is a single band wireless card.

2.4/5.0 GHz wireless cards have model suffixes that end in a/b/g or a/b/g/n.

This is the latest driver for that model wlan card if you are having issues connecting to the internet but you can connect to the network...

This package contains the drivers for the supported Atheros Wireless LAN Adapters in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54972.exe

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is a hardware limitation.

The card only works on the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Anytime you see a wireless card with a model suffix that ends in b/g or b/g/n, that means it is a single band wireless card.

2.4/5.0 GHz wireless cards have model suffixes that end in a/b/g or a/b/g/n.

This is the latest driver for that model wlan card if you are having issues connecting to the internet but you can connect to the network...

This package contains the drivers for the supported Atheros Wireless LAN Adapters in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54972.exe

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks very much for your response, I really appreciate it.  I suspected it was a limitation, but thought perhaps a later driver might allow for connectivity.

I can connect now just fine so I won't be updating the driver.  As an aside, it didn't appear easy to locate  the specs, etc. for the device despite some looking. 

As a little background, I was using a program inSSIDer Home to evaluate my network and I knew I had a 5 GHZ connection, but guess what, it didn't show up.  Now I know why.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.