Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp Officejet 6950
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I tried scanning from the printer but it could not find my laptop (no computer found) and vice versa.  I tried connecting to two different network but the same thing happens.  On the printer itself, it says it is connected to the network.  I tried rebooting the router, printer and laptop.  I tried uninstalling the driver, but I cannot complete the driver installation because it cannot see the printer.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Jay_G24, thank you so very much for taking the time to help me out.  I apologize for not getting back with you right away.  I was able to finally resolve the issue right before I received your message.  First of all, chatting with hp's helpdesk was a waste of time (nearly 45 minutes) amounted to absolutely nothing.  I ended up ending the chat without resolution. 

This problem ruined by Saturday literally wasting several hours trying to fix it.  I had previously rebooted my laptop, printer and router but nothing worked.  Then I found a response in the forum doing the same thing but in a specific sequence.  I can't find that link now but it worked and it was my absolute last attempt for the day.  If I remember correctly, I turned off and unplugged the printer, then rebooted the router, then put the printer back online then rebooted the laptop.  

Again, I thank you so much for your help.  I am saving your recommendations for future reference as you have brought up some great advice.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @gino_cappuccino

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Let's try the below steps to see if that helps -

1.) Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2.) Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3.) Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4.) Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further-

1.) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?

2.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

3.) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

4.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac?

5.) Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results? Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hello Jay_G24, thank you so very much for taking the time to help me out.  I apologize for not getting back with you right away.  I was able to finally resolve the issue right before I received your message.  First of all, chatting with hp's helpdesk was a waste of time (nearly 45 minutes) amounted to absolutely nothing.  I ended up ending the chat without resolution. 

This problem ruined by Saturday literally wasting several hours trying to fix it.  I had previously rebooted my laptop, printer and router but nothing worked.  Then I found a response in the forum doing the same thing but in a specific sequence.  I can't find that link now but it worked and it was my absolute last attempt for the day.  If I remember correctly, I turned off and unplugged the printer, then rebooted the router, then put the printer back online then rebooted the laptop.  

Again, I thank you so much for your help.  I am saving your recommendations for future reference as you have brought up some great advice.  

HP Recommended

I found the link that helped me with this issue:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06184808

HP Recommended

@gino_cappuccino

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.