Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have been experiencing problems with my Wifi driver, and I am unable to connect to wireless hot-spots. Please help me out.

What I am experiencing:

When my Laptop starts, I am able to connect to a wifi hotspot. But after 3 to 5 minutes, it automatically disconnects. The wifi option shows "limited" status with the hotspot it was connected to, while all other available networks disappear. On browsers, it starts showing "No Internet", and on my phone, it shows "No device connected", meaning my laptop has disconnected. I still see full network, but there's a "!" sign, meaning the network is limited.

Once I disconnect, the list immediately shows "No networks available", and there's a "X" sign on the wifi (network) symbol. Now, no matter how long I wait, it is not able to detect any network.

If I try to put the Laptop to sleep mode, and then wake up again, sometimes, the it reconnects, but disconnects again after 3 to 5 minutes. Sometimes, the driver disappears and I only see an option to connect to the ethernet, and when I go to "Device Manager", I see that the driver was not able to start properly.

What I have tried:

1. I have tried to check for any updates and updated my Windows 8.1 if any was available.
  2. I have disabled and re-enabled the driver several times. The problem keeps relapsing.
  3. I have uninstalled and re-installed the driver several times.
  4. I have removed the driver, downloaded new one from HP and reinstalled it. The problem keeps happening.
  5. I have ipconfig flush DNS and netsh reset
  6. I have run HP Support assistant, which resets my wifi driver, but it still keeps getting disconnected.
  7. I have tried to use HP recovery Manager to return to original driver, and it worked for about a day, but the problem came back.
  8. I have run Windows Diagnosis, after which I am able to connect, but it still gets disconnected after sometime.
  9. I also tried to change Power Settings, which does not fix the problem either.

Other information:

Wifi Driver: Realtek RTL8723BE 802. 11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

No option to rollback the driver is present.

I am experiencing this problem for last 10-12 days.

I am not sure if this is caused by windows update or something.

P.S.

Please help me out. I am having a lot of trouble working without the internet. I am not even sure if anybody other than me has ever experienced this error. I will be very thankful if you guide me in this regard. Thanks a lot!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I am in urgent need of help. I hope it catches someone's attention who can help me. Thank you.

HP Recommended

I see a lot of people suffering from Wifi driver problem. I am also suffering from the same problem. Is this caused due to some recent update or something?

My problem: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Problems-with-Wifi-Driver/m-p/7813046...

HP Recommended

@Niekon, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Perform an extensive system test, here is how you do it-

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. After running an Extensive Check, here's what I got:

20201019_145355.jpg

It looks like all tests passed. 

HP Recommended

@Niekon It looks like the battery requires a calibration and I suggest you get that done using the steps in this link: click here

However, since the wireless tests have passed, that could only mean that the issue is software related, and here's what you need to do:

1. Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2. Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices are using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3. Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4. Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

5. Ensure you are connected to the right network, please click on forget on other networks or turn off the automatically connect to network, to avoid such issues.

That said, The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS.

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thankyou for your reply.

I use the hotspot of my phone to connect my laptop to Wifi, which is placed on the same desk. I don't think the problem is caused by weak signal, especially because once the wifi disconnects, all other networks that the laptop was receiving also disappear, and I get "No networks found". I have tried using other hotspots as well, but the problem remains.

HP Recommended

@Niekon Since you are using mobile hotspot, could you check if USB tethering works? instead of the wifi tethering?

How to Tether an Internet Connection with an Android Phone (if it isn't android, please google for assistance)

1. Connect the phone to a computer or laptop by using the USB cable. The best success with this operation is when the computer is a PC running Windows.
  2. Open the Settings app.
  3. Choose More, and then choose Tethering & Mobile Hotspot.
  4. Place a check mark by the USB Tethering item. Internet tethering is activated.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I can confirm that USB tethering works fine.

HP Recommended

@Niekon The only thing left to do, is for you to connect the laptop to another working wifi network (not a hotspot) and check if that works,

That way, we'd know if this an issue with the wifi hotspot feature on the phone or the wifi card on your laptop.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.