Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 4520s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a pretty weird problem when I try to connect my Probook to internet using a cable.

I have a HP desktop station hardwire connected to internet. Then I have another cable into another room and if I try to connect my Probook to this cable, the HP support assistant tells me that there is no connection. Looks like there is something wrong with cable. If I use the cable connected to my desktop, there is no issue, I can connect to internet no problem. This tends to prove that the cable is bad but my Ethernet card is good. But here is the twist. If I connect another laptop to the same cable into the other room, well, I have a connection to internet. Now this tends to prove the cable is not that bad.

Two different laptops connected to the same cable give 2 differents results; one can connect no problem while the Probook can't. 

Any explanation?

How do I fix this problem?

I have to use the Probook into the other room with an Ethernet cable.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link for an up to date version of the drivers. I have downloaded the package and installed it but it did not change anything.

Regarding the LAN power save feature, it is already deactivated.

I kept thinking about this problem of not being able to connect to internet and I have made a few more tests and my conclusion is that the port of the router is somehow defective at least from a Probook point of view. I don't know what kind of expectations this laptop has as far as connecting to internet through a cable because the other laptop has no problem whatsoever. I have moved the cable from one port to another one and it works. This is how I have reached the conclusion that it is a port issue, at least, this is how it looks like. Anyhow, I will have the modem/router replaced. Hopefully this will put an end to this problem.

Thanks again Paul for your support.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer if you have not done so already, would be to update the Realtek ethernet adapter driver to the latest version found on the Realtek site.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W10 driver at the link below.

Realtek PCIe FE / GBE / 2.5G / Gaming Ethernet Family Controller Software - REALTEK

Also, if your notebook has a LAN power save mode in the BIOS, disable it.  The default setting is enabled.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link for an up to date version of the drivers. I have downloaded the package and installed it but it did not change anything.

Regarding the LAN power save feature, it is already deactivated.

I kept thinking about this problem of not being able to connect to internet and I have made a few more tests and my conclusion is that the port of the router is somehow defective at least from a Probook point of view. I don't know what kind of expectations this laptop has as far as connecting to internet through a cable because the other laptop has no problem whatsoever. I have moved the cable from one port to another one and it works. This is how I have reached the conclusion that it is a port issue, at least, this is how it looks like. Anyhow, I will have the modem/router replaced. Hopefully this will put an end to this problem.

Thanks again Paul for your support.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you found out what the problem most likely is.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I can confirm that the replacement of the modem/router has fixed the problem. It tooks some times to replace the modem because I had to take it back to town and now that I am back to the cottage, I have installed it and everything seems to be going just fine with everything including the Probook.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.