Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6-1B60US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older Pavilion G6-1B60US that I was given and am restoring.  I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 10.  Everything is working except wireless.  The wireless light on the f12 key is solid amber and won't go out.  In device manager, there is no wireless adapter listed in the network adapters category. Under the Other devices category, there is a PCI device that is not recognized.  So I have these questions:

1. How do I know if my wireless adapter needs to be replaced?
  2. How do I identify the PCI device that is in error in device manager?
  3. Do I need a driver for the wireless adapter?
    1. Where do I find said driver?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here's what my device manager looks like.

KentB1_0-1638313447551.png

HP Recommended

Hi:

The Ralink model wifi cards have that problem of completely disappearing from the device manager on the newer builds of W10.

There is no fix other than to:

Go back to W7

Purchase a USB dual band wifi adapter that has support for W10, and use that to connect to a wireless network.

One like this even comes with Bluetooth.

Amazon.com: USB WiFi Bluetooth Adapter, 600Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz Wireless Network External Receive...

You need the W10 Realtek SD card reader driver for the PCI Device.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the 1st file listed at the link below.

Card Reader Solutions > Card Reader Controllers Software - REALTEK

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  The realtek card reader driver fixed my problem with device manager.  I'm disappointed that my wireless card won't work.  I will pursue your suggestion to purchase a USB wireless adapter.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.