Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15 da0038na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I believe this to be a hardware issue, as I've reinstalled windows many times and the issue has persisted across these installations and multiple driver versions. I've tested it on Linux and am seeing similar behaviour.

The wifi works fine for any amount of time between 1 minute and an hour before it stops being able to connect to any access points. Sometimes windows troubleshooting resolves the issue temporarily, more often than not it doesn't. Sometimes the card rtl8821ce disappears entirely from device manager, as the computer cannot seem to locate it.

In Event Viewer there are some logs under RTWlanE "Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly."

I've ran the HP PC Hardware diagnostics software, the IRQ and ROM tests failed with this error code "PLRKTQ-97TAKD-XD7W3G-88BJ13"

This laptop is no longer under warranty unfortunately, it's been 2.5 years since I got it. What are my options here? I've had an idea that I could try and buy another RTL8821CE and replace the one currently in the laptop (assuming the hardware issue is with this card and not something else).

A search for the card on parts.hp.com has given me many options for many models,  which all seemingly link to the same card, it is also available or amazon and the like.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The failure report generated by the code you posted provides the following info.  I removed your notebook's serial number from the report.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
PLRKTQ-97TAKD-XD7W3G-88BJ13OK00000000004/19/21421CommunicationsGPS, HUB, Modem, Network Card, Network Drive, PCI Card, PCMCIA, Switch, USBNetwork Card IRQ Failure

See if installing the latest wifi driver for the RTL8821CE wifi adapter helps any...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp112501-113000/sp112619.exe

If not, then yes, I recommend you replace the card.

Since your notebook only has one antenna wire connected to it, unfortunately you are stuck with having to buy the same card, as all other dual band cards would require two antenna wires.

You can buy the card new from HP for a 13.26 quid.

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

I have also provided the link to some service videos that may help further, such as for removing the bottom cover and the wifi card....

Replace the Base Enclosure | HP Notebook 15, HP 250 and 255 G7 Notebook PC | HP - YouTube

Replace the Wireless Module | HP Notebook 15, HP 250 and 255 G7 Notebook PC | HP - YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The failure report generated by the code you posted provides the following info.  I removed your notebook's serial number from the report.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
PLRKTQ-97TAKD-XD7W3G-88BJ13OK00000000004/19/21421CommunicationsGPS, HUB, Modem, Network Card, Network Drive, PCI Card, PCMCIA, Switch, USBNetwork Card IRQ Failure

See if installing the latest wifi driver for the RTL8821CE wifi adapter helps any...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp112501-113000/sp112619.exe

If not, then yes, I recommend you replace the card.

Since your notebook only has one antenna wire connected to it, unfortunately you are stuck with having to buy the same card, as all other dual band cards would require two antenna wires.

You can buy the card new from HP for a 13.26 quid.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

I have also provided the link to some service videos that may help further, such as for removing the bottom cover and the wifi card....

Replace the Base Enclosure | HP Notebook 15, HP 250 and 255 G7 Notebook PC | HP - YouTube

Replace the Wireless Module | HP Notebook 15, HP 250 and 255 G7 Notebook PC | HP - YouTube

HP Recommended

Hello Paul, thanks for the fast reply!

The link you gave for the part just redirects me to "parts.hp.com/hpparts/Default.aspx?mscssid="

I'm not sure if it was meant to direct me to where I can buy the part directly.

If I search for the card rtl8821ce manually I have to select a specific model (notebook model I think), but my model isn't there. Anyhow they all seem to point to the same card, however the price is listed as £30.95 rather than the 13.26 you mentioned, any ideas?

HP Recommended

Also I'm aware that the RTL8821CE card itself has multiple variants such as RFE 1, RFE 2, RFE 4 and maybe more. Is there any way to ensure I get a specific variant?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If the link is not defaulted to the UK, change the country flag to the UK and then you can enter the part number in the search window... L17365-005

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.