Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-dy1091wm
Microsoft Windows 11

15-dy1091wm with RTL8821CE.  When using the computer, periodically you will lose wifi signal, but you cannot reconnect as a scan shows no available networks.  Another device shows the networks are in fact available, but the only way to fix is to restart laptop.  Even using HP website automated driver search and "download and install assistant" on the HP website, it will not update the driver.

Current driver is for RTL8821CE  PCIe adapter says date 3/16/2021 and version 2024.0.10.222.

The new driver for RTL8821CE on the HP website describes this phenomenon and suggests the new driver fixes it...great!!!  But it won't install.  I have tried as administrator, uninstalling driver from device manager, entering safe mode and then uninstalling driver and trying to install as administrator.  I have tried using device manager to detect driver from the folder, or even opening the C:/swsetup folder and install manually, etc.  It opens the black command box screen but closes in a couple of seconds.  When you check device manager for driver details, it is the same original March 2021 driver and same problem of losing wifi signal and wifi scan shows NO available networks.  You have to restart to get wifi back.  Even writing this report, before I click "post", I have to be mindful to first copy and save everything I write to Word in case I lose signal.  This has proved disastrous already for work-related things where I lose everything I had submitted, only to have it do it again an hour later, losing that one as well because you thought you had signal.  I quit after losing hours of work for naught. 

One piece of good news is that the newest driver description says this happens on DC power, so if you unplug the laptop, you may be safe (???)

Release date:

Jul 5, 2021

File name:

Fix and enhancements:
- Fixes an issue where the system cannot find any wireless networks and the scan list is empty when the system in powered in DC mode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a newer driver than that one...

2024.0.10.226    12/24/2021

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp138501-139000/sp138818.exe 

The newer drivers are 'silent install' drivers.

They don't appear to do anything. A black command screen opens, runs some commands and closes.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a newer driver than that one...

2024.0.10.226    12/24/2021

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp138501-139000/sp138818.exe 

The newer drivers are 'silent install' drivers.

They don't appear to do anything. A black command screen opens, runs some commands and closes.

HP Recommended

That sounds great.  But even if they are "silent install" drivers, shouldn't they at least update the "driver date" or "driver version" in the control panel/device manager description???  Mine still shows the 3/16/2021 version / 2024.0.10.222

HP Recommended

Yes, the updated driver version and date should show up on the driver tab of the WiFi card. 

And manually browsing to the extracted driver folder in the SWSetup file doesn't find and install the updated driver? 

That's always worked for me.

HP Recommended

I am not sure why the HP website drivers failed to install even when using HP's install assistant, etc, but your version installed on the first try (and yes, your version updates the driver date/version on the device manager properties, so my problem was install failure of the HP provided driver updates).  I haven't used it long enough to ascertain whether it definitively solves the problem, but if so, this is a big win.  This is a common problem with the HP with Realtek wifi from searching on the issue, so I hope you get more recognition and should come us a solution high on google or HP message board searches.

Losing wifi at random times and not being able to reconnect, or even seeing available networks, without restarting the computer made this laptop practically useless.  Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Yes, the Realtek cards are horrible, and I don't know why HP insists on using them.

I have two HP notebooks with the RTL8821CE, and knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with them. 

HP Recommended

Hello. I am having the same issue with my pc.  Internet drops randomly.  If this driver doesnt work, should I do a factory reset?

HP Recommended

This driver works for me.  It is a done deal.  I have had the computer on all day while connected to the AC adapter/power cord, and I have not lost connection.

Try the driver first and report back here and let us know if it worked.

If you are having the random disconnects where you scan for networks and no networks are even available, even if you have a phone that shows them available and working, where you even have to restart the computer to get internet back, try the driver and let us know.

Of course, this just works for a few Realtek cards, RTL88xx.

HP Recommended

Hi. The driver didn’t work for me. I have great internet access in the house. All of my other devices work fine. Instead of a factory reset, I opted for a network reset. So far, it is working. We’ll see if it works long term. Thanks for sharing your experience. I’d be lost without YouTube and support communities like this. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Alas, mine still drops connection with the same symptoms as my first post occasionally.  If I uninstall the adapter in the device manager, it won't even find it again when you press "scan for hardware changes".  I still have to shutdown or restart the computer to have the wifi come back.

Strange that the device manager won't find the Realtek PCI card when you scan for it, not  sure there is a way to get back wifi without a restart.

I will take this computer apart at some time in the next few months to add RAM and maybe change harddrive.  It seems that is the standard nowadays to have to completely disassemble laptops instead of having an access window for RAM, harddrive, and battery as was the case for older laptops.

Any problems with changing the wifi adapter at the same time?  Any suggestions on wifi cards that would work reliably?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.