Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello, i have the same notebook, and the same problem, also i broke the cable that connects the card to the antenna, i read some discussions and i saw that you don't always recommend the same card for this notebook, with this : https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832108208270.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.13.352a51de7gRoYO&al..., could i solve the problem? i would like it to work well with both windows 10 and linux. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

I may not recommend the same card based on the information provided.

When a card only has one Wi-Fi antenna, I don't recommend dual band cards unless the person is willing and able to completely disassemble the notebook including the display panel to install a second antenna wire and transceiver.

When a notebook has a single antenna wire, I recommend the Realtek RTL8723BE.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with your situation.

You have no Wi-Fi antenna wires to connect to the Wi-Fi card.

The card you picked out should work but the antenna kit that comes with it is for a desktop PC.

Inside your notebook's bezel the broken antenna wire has a transceiver.

It's not just a plain wire.

You would need to order the dual antenna kit from your notebook's service manual, completely disassemble the notebook including the display panel in order to properly install the antennas to get the best reception.

I think in your case you should use a dual band USB Wi-Fi adapter. 

It probably won't work for Linux, but it would work for Windows.

This model is dual band with Bluetooth:

USB WiFi bluetooth dongle, XVZ 600mbps dual band 2.4G/5G draadloze Wi-Fi adapter netwerkkaart voor l...

HP Recommended

My notebook is already disassembled, so no problem from that point of view, the article I linked, also seems to have the option with the cables and transceivers for the notebook, can you confirm that? alternatively could you recommend me another model of card with similar features, which is good for both w10 and linux? thank you very much

HP Recommended

Yes, it appears that the second picture in the listing you posted shows you can get the card with the notebook-type antennas and transceivers.

You would have to confirm that you can order it that way from the seller.

Unfortunately, I would not know what model Wi-Fi cards work with Linux.

HP Recommended

But this model was recommended for linux, so with this board I should be ok if I can install the antennas right?

HP Recommended

Yes, if it is supported for Linux, it should work fine with antennas connected to it.

Hopefully you will be able to fit the transceivers where they go now.

You can refer to the service manual for how to install the antennas, chapter 6.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655216.pdf

HP Recommended

Since my primary use is currently windows 10, I decided to install the realtek card. Can you confirm if this will work for me? thanks https://www.ebay.it/itm/255716348081?hash=item3b89e1d0b1%3Ag%3A0FEAAOSwb0ZjGfPK&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAA...

HP Recommended

Yes, that card should work just fine, but I don't know if it will work in Linux or not.

I assume you have already checked to see that it does.

HP Recommended

I tried the board today and it doesn't work! it appears to be turned off

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know why that would be.

Chapter 3 page 17 of the service manual indicates that the Realtek RT8723BE is a supported wifi card.

The only difference is the part number HP has in the manual, and I don't think that should have made a difference.

c04655216.pdf (hp.com)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.