Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

It seems to be not working on Arch Linux or Fedora. But it's easy to fix
just disable "Secure boot" option in BIOS, then you've got working module.

P.S. "Boot configuration" in BIOS, then disable "Secure boot".

Good luck

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your help. It is setting in that way in the bios. I have problems with the wi-fi only. I try Ubuntu and it show me another model (702 or something like that) i return to Fedora and it shows 8723de 😞

HP Recommended

Hello comunity,

Have an HP with rtl8723de and i was able to make it work.

only issue is, signal stuck at 50%.

Tried:

sudo /bin/sh -c 'echo "options rtl8723de ant_sel=2" >> /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723de.conf'

Nothing happens. Terminal gets stuck at doing nothing... Ctrl+z does not work to stop the command because nothing is being done. Also cannot understand why "rtl8723de.conf" is not created...

Dual boot with Windows 10, using KDE Neon based on 18.04. Kernel 4.18.0.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

A notice to fedora users:
until yesterday wifi did not work, but this morning a kernel update has arrived (5.0.4) and it works

HP Recommended

Are you on Fedora 29 or 30 beta?

HP Recommended

Fedora 29, kernel 5.0.7

HP Recommended

Hi, it was working before the kernel change, on fedora 29, after do some research and the instructions on this main page. The dependencies and libs are important to get fisrt and reboot the machine. After update the kernel to 5.x  I lost the wi-fi again, but was because the system do a clean of old packages. It is working on Fedora 30 beta too. 

HP Recommended

Hello!

Can you specify minimal steps to install wifi module in fedora please?

HP Recommended

For Fedora 29 /30

First: Check that your system is updated:

$ sudo dnf update

-- - open terminal and check your model

$ lspci

Examples: Can be  realtek 8723de or 8723be , it depends, copy the info respecting  uppercase If present. "Fedora normally understand low caps better."

1- The headers

(https://fedora.pkgs.org/29/fedora-x86_64/kernel-headers-4.18.16-300.fc29.x86_64.rpm.html)

2.1- Install git dkms

:~$ sudo dnf update && sudo dnf install git dkms

sudo dnf install linux-headers-generic build-essential git

3- reboot

Once git is installed  and rebooted, open terminal on your /Downloads folder and run

$ git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git

when finished:

$ cd rtlwifi_new

then

$ make

then

$ sudo make install

READ carefully Check for errors, if not error dependencies reported how missing everything is ok, if not, just copy the dependency name, and google it, install it and repeat the process.

Remember the hardware model reported in the first step, it needs to be the right model on your machine.

--At this point the driver can be assigned. BELOW is the example of the correct code, just CHECK that is the same as yours, and just change in this case the example use rtl8723be .Use your model.

First command:

$ sudo modprobe -r rtl8723be

Second Command:

$ sudo modprobe rtl8723be

SIGNAL:

In my experience there's two channels to choose 1 and 2.

The channel 2 works perfect in the machines that i tested

To set to channel 2, run:

$ sudo su -
echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2" > /etc/modprobe.d/50-rtl8723be.conf

If channel 2 not work fine for you:

To CHANGE IT:  change sel=2  for sel=1

Reboot the machine, maybe the wireless is already there and working but is better reboot the mahine.

Hope helps.

Edit update/tip: When 5.x kernel is installed, normally it cleans older headers, that's why if the normal installation send you errors or your wi-adapter gone away, you need to install the older headers.

HP Recommended

Was trying to install the driver for RTL8723DE for quite sometime with your instructions but always encountered the below error.

modprobe: ERROR: Error running install command for rtlwifi
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'rtl8723de': Operation not permitted

DId some digging around and found that we need the extended branch for this WIFI adaptor.

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
cd rtlwifi_new
git checkout origin/extended -b extended
sudo make install 
sudo modprobe rtl8723de

Now everything works just fine for me, running Fedora 30 with kernel 5.0.13-300.fc30.x86_64.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.