Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion DV6t-3000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recent win 10 updates appear to have broken my wfi networking - the card does not even appear in device manager and if I try to add it manually, I just get a driver error and Intel no longer offers drivers so it seems to be abandoned. According to looking up the model, it is an intel wifi link1000 (intel centrino bgn 1000). I'm not exactly sure on the form factor but would like to replace card with a more current card better supported by win 10 - can you tell me the form factor or suggest models of cards that might be more current 802.11 A-C capable that would fit this notebook? I think it is a PCIe half-mini, but would appreciate confirmation - also a link to the manual would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your model series has a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of any wifi card other than the one that came with your notebook, or if it is a CTO model (configured to order), one of the cards listed in the service manual, installing a newer model wifi card is not possible.

If you are experiencing issues with the Intel card, your only option would be to purchase an external USB AC wifi adapter.

They make some nano models that hardly stick out of the USB port.

Here is the link to the service manual.  You can find the list of supported wifi cards in chapter 3.

You must buy one of the cards listed in the manual, and it must have the HP part number on the card or it won't work.

Some of the cards won't work anyway.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657339

You would need to enter the product number of your notebook in the box at the link below to see exactly what wifi adapters/part numbers are supported for your specific dv6t-3000 product number.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

The whitelists were present in all dv6 models until the dv6-7xxx model series was introduced.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your model series has a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of any wifi card other than the one that came with your notebook, or if it is a CTO model (configured to order), one of the cards listed in the service manual, installing a newer model wifi card is not possible.

If you are experiencing issues with the Intel card, your only option would be to purchase an external USB AC wifi adapter.

They make some nano models that hardly stick out of the USB port.

Here is the link to the service manual.  You can find the list of supported wifi cards in chapter 3.

You must buy one of the cards listed in the manual, and it must have the HP part number on the card or it won't work.

Some of the cards won't work anyway.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657339

You would need to enter the product number of your notebook in the box at the link below to see exactly what wifi adapters/part numbers are supported for your specific dv6t-3000 product number.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

The whitelists were present in all dv6 models until the dv6-7xxx model series was introduced.

HP Recommended

thanks for the links - I see a few of the original wlan cards from the manual are compatible with USA models, however according to the intel site the existing card should be supported directly by win 10 drivers. I plugged it into the lan via ethernet cable so will see if I run the latest update, maybe it will fix the driver issue. The laptop is no longer the fastest considering it is quite a bit older now, but it works well for my needs and has actually been running better in other regards under win 10. I used the link you provided below to check the actual laptop model number: WF536AV - it comes up that is is a CTO model and lists Broadcom and Atheros adapters in addition to the intel - not sure any are still available or if they may be better supported. If not, I suspect the USB Nano option is the best idea.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

IMO, those cards may fare worse than the Intel one on W10.

You could always experiment and find a used but tested and working one on eBay and see what happens.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the card, and only buy one where you see an actual photo of the item with the white 'Replace with HP Spare' label on it.

No doubt you could pick one up for less than $10.00 nowadays...maybe even less.

HP Recommended

the USB option seems best - most are pretty cheap and I got some credits on amazon so will essentially be free.

the odd thing with current card is that it does appear in device mgr since I updated today,  but with a yellow warning is not working properly so I try to change driver and all come back with error Code 31, even the most recent microsoft driver that is listed. Not sure how to clear o ut all the drivers and try a fresh device install, can't think of anything more to try. based on the time of fussing, I'll probably try a fewe things over the weekend, fail and order a usb wifi card on monday.

HP Recommended

You can try right clicking on the Intel wifi adapter, select uninstall, and check the uninstall driver box.

Then restart the PC and see if W10 will sort out the issue.

HP Recommended

Sadly upon restart, it finds nothing. Maybe the card actually did crap out. Downloaded and tried the HP diagnostics tool but it doesn’t see the wlan adapter either. About 25 yrsxago I had a modem get fried but I never had a network card fail before. Seems unlikely, more likely a system comm problem with the OS. 

HP Recommended

Try removing and firmly reseating the wifi card.

Unplug the notebook from A/C power, remove the battery, and look at chapter 4 of the service manual for how to remove the wifi card.

Since you are just going to reseat it, leave the antennas connected to facilitate quick reinstallation.

It's an old notebook and sometimes the contacts get oxidized and cause a bad electrical connection.

HP Recommended

It’s been sitting around a lot recently and it’s more humid here in FL even with the AC running all the time. So, ya, worth a try. Plus I can confirm it’s actually the intel card.  

Since I have a newer smaller laptop for travel, I don’t use this much anymore, but it’s been a good machine and it’s nice to have the larger screen. Guess I could always load up Linux and set it up as a kodi media streaming device. 

HP Recommended

Did the reseating earlier to no avail. Still not found. Interior looked really clean  so that was nice to see. Anyway, tried every trick I could think of to try installing the driver but nothing worked. I’m guessing the original win 10 upgrade had the driver but due to some change with how win 10 communicates with network devices, new drivers had to be created and they just didn’t include some old hardware for whatever reason. A basic WiFi N is generally fast enough for my needs but I ordered a WiFi a-c usb nano sized dongle. It was cheap enough and extends the usefulness of the laptop for better streaming.  Thanks to all for the suggestions. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.