Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17Z Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Received this laptop this Monday. This afternoon, I ran speedtest.net using WiFi. If I run speedtest.net on my iPhone as I'm sitting in front of the laptop, the download is about 220Mbps. The laptop's download spend is about 35-60 Mbps.

I've read through some of the other threads here that concern slow WiFi. Tried the solutions that line up with my system. No improvement. 

Any suggestions? Requests more more info?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did some more research and discovered that the Realtek rtl8821ce 802.11ac WiFi card is totally inadequate for getting 200Mbps. It's max speed is a little over 70Mbps. Why would HP put such a slow card in a laptop in 2020?

Now I'm gonna have to run an Ethernet cable all the way to the location where I need the laptop to be. Not too tricky, but it shouldn't be necessary.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I uncheck the box for letting the system power the adaptor down at times. Then I Disabled it, Enabled it, shut down completely, then booted up. No change. 

I opened the Network details and it shows the speed for the network as 325 to 390 MBPS.

After I get a bite to eat for dinner, I'll take the laptop into my office where the router is, and connect it directly with an Ethernet cable, then run speedtest.net again.

HP Recommended

I did some more research and discovered that the Realtek rtl8821ce 802.11ac WiFi card is totally inadequate for getting 200Mbps. It's max speed is a little over 70Mbps. Why would HP put such a slow card in a laptop in 2020?

Now I'm gonna have to run an Ethernet cable all the way to the location where I need the laptop to be. Not too tricky, but it shouldn't be necessary.

HP Recommended

I spoke too soon. This is not solved. I connected the laptop directly to my router with an Ethernet cable and ran speed tests from three separate sites. On Ethernet, it is getting about half the speed my PC is getting. My PC is testing at about 225Mbps. The laptop is testing at about 100Mbps.

So, the WiFi adapter is designed to be inadequate, the Ether adapter is inadequate, and something I haven't mentioned is that the DVD drive does not playback widescreen DVDs properly, the video sections on both sides flicker between standard 4:3 and widescreen 16:9.

So, I want to get an RMA and return this laptop. However, I've search and search, and the HP website is not giving me the information on how to do that. Would someone please give me a link or something so I can do that? Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.