2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Slow laptop unable to connect to network

Pavilion 11-k101na
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
I think this is the right styatem but not 100%
Anyway, I've had trouble with my laptop since purchased last May, it's still within its 1year warranty. Always has been slow to boot then slow to navigate. Now it's so slow I can't access my network settings and it's not connecting to network, am at home and have connection on other devises. I installed McAfee in June/July after free trial ran out so can't see it being a bug, plus this laptop has always been very slow.
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
19,471 17,386 1,615 3,811
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sheds1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I know everyone's experience is different, but I quit using McAfee years ago when I slowed my PC to a crawl.  I tried other AV solutions and ended up going back to Norton AV, as it did not have the same problems.

One of my relatives has a Win7 PC that also is running McAfee -- and it was running at a snail's pace!

I ran a Windows Diagnostic tool I regulary use on all the Win7 PCs I maintain, and it runs 40 or so steps to check out lots of stuff.  Before McAfee was installed, that PC ran all the steps in under 15 minutes.  When I reran it after McAfee was installed, it ran for 40 minutes and was only part way through the first step!

So, I checked with the owner, removed McAfee (replacing it with an MS product for the interim), rebooted the PC, reran the same diagnostics, and this time, they completed in a little over 13 minutes.

So no, I can not prove the problem was McAfee, but after I removed it, the PC performance returned to normal.

This might not work in your case, but you can try it.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Sheds1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, I've just checked it's actually windows 10 not 7. Will try removing anyway as may be the solution
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation