Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14-cf0006dx0
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop is wireless.  When performing a speed test, I get around 40mbps.  If I run a speed test with another laptop that is wireless in the same room I get around 100mbps.  Why is my HP laptop not getting the same speeds as the other laptop?  The wireless card is up-to-date (May 2020).  Any ideas or tricks I should try?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If this is your notebook, it comes with the Realtek 8723DE single band wifi adapter.

https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c06254889

The fastest speed that card can attain with an excellent signal is 72 MBPS.

Check the actual speed the wifi card is connecting at.

Go to the Windows control panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center.

Under the View your active networks section, click on your wireless network connection on the right side of that section.

it will indicate the actual connection speed of the wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

@Namz80 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-14-cf0000-laptop-pc/20395769/document/c06254889

It only has 802.11b/g/n (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo which supports 2.4GHz networks only. The series has following options

Integrated Wireless options with dual antennas (M.2/PCIe):

• Intel Dual band wireless-AC 3168 802.11AC 1×1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adaptor (non-vPro)
  • Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11 ac 2×2 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)

Integrated Wireless options with single antenna (M.2/PCIe):

• Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9461 802.11 AC 1×1 WiFi + BT5 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) (MU-MIMO supported)
  • Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1×1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)
  • Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11 bgn 1×1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo

You can use any adapter in red above because your machine only has 1 antenna.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Namz80 

If you decide to upgrade the wifi card the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9461 will not work.

It only works on notebooks that originally came with that model wifi adapter.

it is a CRF (Companion RF) network adapter that only works with certain hardware/processor configurations.

Your only option would be the Realtek RTL8821CE wifi adapter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.