Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP EliteBook 840 G2 comes with Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 WiFi card that does not connect to new WiFi routers so can you please advise if  Intel AC8265 or Intel Wireless-AC 9260 cards will work on this laptop?

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm glad that the Intel 7265 AC card resolved the problem for you.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have the same card and it connects with no problem to my new Asus ROG 11000 wifi AX router.

HP does not release any information on what notebooks have BIOS whitelists.

Either of the cards you posted should work if your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist...the 9260 would be the better choice.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your input. The card connects to my Netgear R6220 and ASUS RT-AC5300 routers without any issues but not to the TP-Link Archer C80 AC1900 router, maybe because of the Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 has no updated driver from HP site and the driver from the Intel site is old too to support I think. Also, all other computers at home and other smart devices connect to the Tp-Link router. 

I have another thread for the WiFi connectivity as well to see if I get any help there while I look for alternate card for WiFi.

That is the reason I was looking for a better card that can connect to newer WiFi AC devices.

How do I know if the BIOS has any whitelist or not?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, HP does not publish any information regarding what notebooks have BIOS whitelists or not.

Generally, 80 - 90% of notebooks made in 2014 or later do not have them, but there are a few exceptions.

As I replied earlier, I have several desktop and notebook PC's with the Intel 7265 wifi cards installed and they all connect just fine to this model router, which has to be at least as new if not newer than yours.

ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 | Gaming Routers|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA (asus.com)

They are all using the latest wifi driver from the Intel website.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you please share the link to the updated driver 19.51.38.2 that you installed fo the Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 card so that I can try with that driver.

On my computer, I have driver Ver: 18.33.17.1 downloaded from the Intel site and I could not see any newer driver than this. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

This driver will install the latest version supported by the hardware revision for your notebook's wifi adapter.

Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

HP Recommended

HI,

I have seen that and tried as well but that does not install for the WiFi card Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 and give error "This software package cannot be installed on your system" while my Windows is x64 and I downloaded WiFi-22.90.0-Driver64-Win10-Win11.exe file from the same link you suggested. Can you advise how did you installed the file to get latest driver version?

Also in the same page/link I can see the below note stating a different driver for 7265 Family that I installed to get 18.33.17.1 version.

Note: This software release version does not include new drivers for the Intel® Wireless 7265 Family (Rev.C), Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and Intel® Wireless 7260 Family adapters. Please refer to the following link for latest available drivers here

HP Recommended

Hi:

I guess you have the older 7265 AC hardware revision not supported by the driver.

See if this HP driver works for you.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp114001-114500/sp114211.exe

I may have to work backwards until I can find the newest driver that will work for your notebook's wifi card hardware revision.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link.

I downloaded the file sp114211.exe and tried to install and that extracted the files.

Before the above drive was installed the version was 18.33.11.2 from Microsoft.
Looks like the silent installer did not worked as after the command window was closed I checked the driver version and it was still the same. Then I tried to update the driver from device manager and pointing to the extracted folder that gave message "The best driver for your device are already installed"

Computer's WiFi Card Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_095A&SUBSYS_50008086&REV_48 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I guess we have to go back further in time...

See if this one will install a newer version of the driver.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100501-101000/sp100659.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.