Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 9 (3,667 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unable to connect to WIFI after windows 8.1 upgrade

Hello,

I was happily connecting to my home wifi yesterday evening before my HP Pavilion g7 notebook updated to windows 8.1. Now I can only connect via ethernet cable.

I phoned Microsoft Support and was told that my wifi driver was out of date and that this needs to reinstalled. I have had a look at available downloads for network drivers but I am unsure how to establish which one I need.... there are 4 options.

Under Device Manager > Network Adapters, there was only one driver which needed update according to this. The Realtek PCle  FE Family Controller. When I checked for updates here is said that it had updated successfully, but I am STILL unable to connect to the internet.

Microsoft are saying it is an HP problem, not theirs. Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to connect to WIFI after windows 8.1 upgrade

Hi,

My suggestion: using Device Manager to uninstall the wireless driver and reboot the machine. Machine should say new hardware installed and find the right deriver for you OR you can download Realtek driver (wireless) from the above link and re-install it.

Regards.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 9 (3,651 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft. It actually KILLed wireless on my Surface RT (Microsoft product) the day before yesterday. I restored the machine last night and get my wireless connection back. No loosing data but lost all setup including Outlook RT, Bluetooth, icon sizes ...

Now back to your machine, what is it ? G7 is a series of hundreds of models/products. Please check the label at the bottom or using HP Support Assisstant to find out.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
PhD Student
Message 3 of 9 (3,639 Views)

Is your computer even able to detact a wireless network?

What about the Wifi Button on your PC, is it functional after the update to windows 8.1

I have seen many cases where the driver for the quick launch wifi button would be missing and then the user would not be able to conncet the WiFi at all.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

Top Student
Message 4 of 9 (3,619 Views)

No - my notebook is unable to detect a wireless network of any kind. The WiFi button is also functioning as it was prior to update.

My note book product number is C5T17EA#ABU

thanks
Provost
Message 5 of 9 (3,599 Views)

Hi,

I can't kind its part in the UK to dtermine which wireless card in it. Please try the following list:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4158&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5307...

OR post back hardware id in Device Manager.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
Message 6 of 9 (3,573 Views)

That's the problem - there doesn't appear to be an update for the wifi adapter I have.

Under device manager for network adapters I have the following:

- Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
- Realtek PCle FE Family Controller

None of the driver updates seem to fit with those. I have tried checking for updates on each adapter and it says that all are up to date.

I have once again phoned microsoft and they are maintaining that this is an HP issue.

Please help. I work remotely and need wireless access but currently stuck connecting via an Ethernet cable. Not ideal.

Thanks
Provost
Message 7 of 9 (3,557 Views)

Hi,

My suggestion: using Device Manager to uninstall the wireless driver and reboot the machine. Machine should say new hardware installed and find the right deriver for you OR you can download Realtek driver (wireless) from the above link and re-install it.

Regards.

BH
Top Student
Message 8 of 9 (3,522 Views)

Thanks for the above. I have unistalled my Ralink driver and installed the Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver from the list you referenced above and restarted my notebook, but the solution has not worked.

Any other suggestions as to wireless drivers to install?

Thanks

Top Student
Message 9 of 9 (3,484 Views)

Installed the Mediatek 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter Driver and was able to locate my network again! Thanks for your help.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation