Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook

Wireless networking has been cutting off and on for years, but recently it is really causing problems. I have to disconnect and then reconnect constantly, especially lately when on Zoom/Cisco online video calls. We installed an wireless router extender a year ago, but it does not help much.

I do not use a work/school VPN because my part-time boss said not to in order to reduce bandwidth idk. Windows 10 is supposed to be able to deal with personal vs work/school accounts, so I do not worry too much about not having using VPN. I use a plain old wireless router/modem.

Most of the time I get a DNS error. Our ISP (cable) says that I cannot change the DNS address. Our cable DNS address has remained the same for literally a decade, at least the ipv4 has. The ipv6 addresses are very confusing, so who knows.

Everything wireless is so unstable lately, with covid-19 + Alexa/wireless light bulbs + The 1 telephone company competing with The 1 cable company in our neighborhood + general hacking. It seems like they try to disrupt each other's service. That's just one crazy theory. Other crazy theories are that my Envy notebook is too old for Windows 10 (even though it is still fast), my online work and personal user profiles/accounts are getting mixed up (even though I created separate users), and/or just hacking (previous students, ex lovers, old coworkers, Russia, Bell vs Cable, etc.).

RE: virus protection, Microsoft's Windows Security and Defender is supposed to be good enough. Several instances I have installed a separate virus protection tool only to be told by a Microsoft tech that it is not needed.

I recently tried to install malwarebytes, but I received an error. 

OS is unknown because I am running Windows 10 on top of Windows 7/8 (legacy boot). I think Windows 10 is 64-bit and Windows 7/8 is 32-bit, but I am not sure. BIOS was updated to F.50 about 2 years ago, but it is still in legacy mode. I say 32-bit because I still see a lot of sketchy processes running in 32.

I ran a network trace today and submitted it to Microsoft via their feedback hub.

Then, I ran an optimizer from the HP Support Assistant tool.

Now, my desktop toolbar icons and my old files with screenshots of my various error codes/events are gone. Otherwise, I would include error codes.

If you have any ideas (other than buying anything extra), please let me know. I promise I will try to focus on one problem at a time, unlike this post. 😉

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@notarichgrt

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)
  2. Select Device Manager in the menu.
  3. Double-click Network adapters.
  4. Right-click the name of your wireless network adapter, and then select Uninstall.
  5. When the Confirm Device Uninstall screen displays, click OK and then wait for the device to be uninstalled. The name of the wireless adapter no longer appears in the network adapters category when it has been uninstalled.
  6. At the top of the Device Manager window, click Action, and then select Scan for hardware changes. The computer reinstalls the wireless network and the wireless network adapter name displays in the Network adapters category.
  7. After the network adapter name displays in Device Manager, close Device Manager, and then restart the computer.
  8. Try connecting to the Internet again. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.