Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looking to upgrade my network card for my HP Pavilion 17 Notebook. Any helpful hints and links are appreciated. Want my computer to see and access 5G on my wireless router. Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

The product number can be found on the same label as the serial number.

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC  

serial #: 5CD51710Z6

Product#: L0Q89UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hi:

The parts list for your model indicates that it comes with a Realtek RTL8188EE HMC form factor wifi adapter.

Here's the problem...usually that model wifi card only has one antenna connected to it, and the only way you are going to be able to confirm that, is to take the notebook apart and look.

In order to upgrade to a dual band wifi card, your notebook must have two antenna wires available to connect to a dual band card.

So, if your notebook does have two antennas connected to the Realtek wifi card, then you can upgrade to the:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                HP Part #710661-001

The card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Here is the link to the service manual.  The wifi card R & R procedures can be found in chapter 6.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04511833

HP Recommended

Thanks, so far, for the helpful info to this point. Would i be better served just purchasing a dongle at this point? Mind you I am a complete novice in this field. However, I have replaced a few screens before...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Take a look at chapter 6 of the manual and see if you think you are up to the task.  It is not an easy procedure. 

There isn't a convenient service panel door to easily remove to access the wifi card.

Personally, I would find the job difficult, and would probably resort to buying a dual band external USB wifi adapter.

But if you have replaced screens, then maybe it wouldn't be so hard for you to do.

Unfortunately, I don't know which notebook models have the one antenna connected to the card, and which have two.

HP Recommended

my model is 17-f023cl

my p / n is G6R35UAR#ABA

HP Recommended

Hello,

i have same question, about Upgrade Network card for my HP Pavilion 17 Notebook.

Product: HP Pavilion 17 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

Looking to upgrade my network card for my HP Pavilion 17 Notebook. Any helpful hints and links are appreciated. Want my computer to see and access 5G on my wireless router.

But my serial and product number are:

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC  

serial #: [edit]

Product#: G1M18EA

HP Recommended

@ivanst,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to upgrade the wireless card on your computer which supports 5GHz

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

You can install any wireless card on the computer which supports 5GHz. You just need to make sure that the form factor of the new wireless card matches with the one installed on your computer.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mon code système désactivé et le 51346158 

Problème mot de passe mise sous tension 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.