Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13-A050CA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I wonder if someone can give me a bit more information about the built in WIFI card and replacing it on my touchscreen laptop. Model 13-a050ca x360 Serial 5CD42805CR.

I currently only connect to the 2.4ghz networks. I would like to replace the internal wifi card to one that will provide dual band and also connect to the 5ghz networks. I know I can buy and external usb, but that is not why I'm here asking a question.

I have read a lot about whitelist and cards that are not compatible. I know the card HP says is compatible is the 710662-005. But even that card has variations and I am being told by vendors that the model they carry is not compatible.

Is anyone able to tell me about this whitelist?

For the 710662-005 what is the variation that would work on this laptop? 

I found an Intel Dual band AC3160, which appears to be similar to the 710662-005, but it has 3 model numbers.

Are there other cards that would work in anyone's experience? 

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't believe that your notebook has a whitelist, but you would need to have two antenna cables connected to the single band card in there now in order to upgrade.

I would opt for this card which you can find on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

HP Recommended

Thank you. I will look at that card and do further searches.

I have opened up the laptop, and I do have two antennas currently connected.

I know the size and shape of the card also.

I am concerned that although the card I find may fit, that the system won't recognize it.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sometimes you have to experiment. I think it is a pretty low risk gamble.

HP does not publish any info on which models have whitelists, and which don't.

They started moving off the whitelists on some models with Intel 3rd gen core processors starting in 2012, and most notebooks with 4th gen Intel core processors such as yours, do not have whitelists.

But I have not come across anyone with your model that has reported upgrading the wifi card, so the jury is still out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.