Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgraded my DV6 to Windows 10 and now the WiFi does not work

HP Pavilion dv6t-6c00 CTO Quad
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After my upgrade to Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion dv6t-6c00 CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook, the Wifi is no longer working ... in the sense that it does not find my Wifi network.

I believe, that technically, the dv6t is not supported by HP for Windows 10 but everything thing else seems to work albeit a bit differently at times.  For instance, the WiFi but no longer toggles the WiFi on/off but now turns Airplane mode on/off.

In my office I am most always on my wired network so this is not an issue but certainly will be when I am not in the office.

The driver is at the latest available (for Windows 7) from HP so I'm not sure this is a driver issue or something else.

Any ideas or has anyone else had this issue on a dv6t?

I should also mention that Bluetooth no longer works either ... service will not start.

4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
16278 16221 1511 3601
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TBiggi1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I had EXACTLY the same problem on my DV6 laptop -- after I upgraded it to Win10.  Despite pushing the WiFi key time after time, it would always stay orange and the WiFi never worked.

But ... to fix this, I had to do the "upgrade" again -- and do two things very differently ...

1: Prepare for clean-install:

If, after the upgrade, your PC is only partially functioning, that means that the Upgrade did not go well and stuff is still there from the prior OS corrupting the functionality of Win10.

You MIGHT be able to fix this by doing a clean-install of Win10. Problem is that a clean-install often does not recognize the prior activation, even though it should.

So, you need to do 2( below BEFORE you do the clean-install:

2) Create a file needed to reactivate Win10 after the clean-install

BEFORE you do the upgrade, follow these instructions from the community Win10 forums about creating a genuineticket.xml file: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-fi...

You will need this later to activate your Win10 pc after the clean-install.

NOTE: I did the clean-install, and even though the product-key was SUPPOSED to work to activate Win10, it did not. And, calls to MS about this were wastes of time -- since the MS idiots said I could not activate Win10 with a Win7 product key!!

What DID work was using the genuineticket approach documented in the tenforums thread. I copied that from the USB stick where I saved it, rebooted, and after that, my DV6 was activated -- and it's been working great ever since!

---------------------------

I did note that you ALREADY did the Upgrade, so you might not be able to do the genuineticket stuff, and if that does not work, after the clean-install, you will NOT be able to activate your copy of Win10.

So, yet another workaround that MIGHT work, instead of doing a clean-install, is doing something known as a Repair-Install.  This is the least destructive of all the Windows recovery functions and rewrites the Windows system files, including the drivers, leaving your data, settings, and applications intact.

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit). Make sure you select the same version as needed for your PC. If you do not, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Once you have that media, follow the instructions in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
TBiggi1 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info and potential solution.  I'll hang on and see if there are other possible solutions.  I need to keep a working system for the next week anyway .. can't take a chance right now that the solution would not work.

Tom

0 Kudos
TBiggi1 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You has also said:

So, yet another workaround that MIGHT work, instead of doing a clean-install, is doing something known as a Repair-Install.

In reading that post for the Repair-Install it states the same version and build.  The same version is not an issue but the build...that may be an issue since I think the anniversary update had also installed after the initial upgrade, followed by security updates and the, I think, the anniversary update.

How can I tell or determine the build or is that not an issue for a Repair-Install?

One other question is:  Can this upgrade be rolled back to Windows 7 as it was just before I started?  Not sure if I want to do that or but just in case thought I'd ask.

0 Kudos
TBiggi1 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Found it:

Version 1607

Build 14343.222

Is there a download for this?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation