Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP 15-F387WM that I am trying to upgrade the wifi in to AC, the card in it is supposed to be an BGN but it will not even do N speeds. I have an AC wireless router and my Wireless downloads speeds on my Dell with a intel 7260 card is 90mbs on 2.4GHZ and 235mbs on 5GHZ. the HP only does about 30mbs on 2.4GHZ. I tried using a broadcom card BCM4352 but it wasn't much different, had a hard time finding drivers for that one! Would an intel 7260 work in there?? I seems like the wifi is suppressed in this model??

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your notebook has an AMD processor, the Intel 7260 won't work.

Did you add a second antenna so the BCM4352 works at its maximum speed?

With only one antenna, the Wi-Fi reception is not as good and there is no antenna diversity.

The Broadcom AC card has exactly the same specs as the Intel 7260.

The newest driver for the BCM card was 7.35.352.0.

That should have been automatically installed by W10.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, I did add another antenna but I ordered it off Ebay and didn't think about the length. It was for an HP that had the card in the back so it wasn't long enough. I did put it in the bottom where there was no metal shielding but didn't help much. As far as the drivers go I tested several drivers and the speed on   7.35.352.0. installed by windows was about 20 Mbps slower than the 7.35.344.0. drivers I found. This was some good experience on HP laptops as I normally work on desktops. I was working on the laptop for a friend. It is like the HP chipset is holding back the wireless performance! I ended up getting about 30 Mbps on 2.4ghz and 150 Mbps on 5ghz on my 200Mbps service. I have a dell E5440 with a 7260 that gets 90Mbps on 2.4mhz and 235Mbps on 5ghz. I ended up using a TP-Link nano 600AC dongle and even it was limited but better than the internal. The TP-Link got 50Mbps on 2.4ghz and  170Mbps on 5ghz. This same dongle gets full speeds on my old 2015 Toshiba lap top so some how the HP's are limiting the wireless performance even with a USB dongle. My brother ran into the same issue working on his nephew's 2017 HP laptop,(same realtek bgn card) it would only get about 30 Mbps on his 100Mbps service, he ended up putting in a TP-Link 600AC dongle and got it up to 70Mbps on his service. My personal opinion is there is an issue with how the chipset handles networking!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can try this driver and see if it works better if you have not done so already.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78001-78500/sp78044.exe

It was the last version Broadcom released to HP.

I think it is the way you installed the second antenna wire that may be an issue.

The wires and transceivers both go into the display making for the best reception when the lid is open.

I suppose if you want to try the Dell 7260 in there for testing and see if it works better the worst-case scenario is it doesn't work.  It won't damage anything by installing it.

If by some remote chance it does work, then you can buy the HP equivalent...you can get them pretty cheap on eBay from China.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0    HP Part # 717381-001

The advantage the 7260 has over the Broadcom AC card is that Intel supported the card with drivers into Mid-2019.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.