Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP 16-c0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got this new laptop and I have only 1 bar of signal strength less than 20 feet from my router. I have several other brands of laptops, and none of them have this problem. So I know it is not the router, and having Googled this, it seems that many HP users have the same problem. It is very frustrating. I have tried a few things that I found online, but none of them worked. Any help would be much appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi@marcusarv Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Excellent description and a great diagnosis are done. It is greatly appreciated.

Apologize for the issue with the WIFI. We understand it's a new notebook lets try a few troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.

We understand its brand new notebook updates might be required. I can see that already done a reset and updating the drivers.

And happy giving me the opportunity to fix the issue. not losing Hope in order to fix it.

Check with BIOS is up to date?

Check with windows updates?

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document fix

Check the wireless signal

Check the wireless button or key to confirm the wireless signal is on.

1. Locate the wireless key or button. This could be an image of an airplane  or a wireless signal .

2. Press the button once, wait 10 seconds, and then observe any changes to the wireless connection icon in the notification area and to the LED light on the wireless button or key.

If the button or key does not have a light, hover your mouse over the wireless connection icon in the notification area of the taskbar to see the current connection status.

• If the wireless signal turns on: Connect to the internet again.

• If the wireless signal is turned off: Press the button or key again, and then try to connect to the internet again.

Update hardware drivers

Use Device Manager to update hardware drivers such as the graphics, audio, wireless, or other drivers for your computer.

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. In the list of devices, select Mice and other pointing devices.

3. Right-click the wireless adapter, select Update driver, and then follow the instructions to install the updated driver.

Selecting Update driver in Device Manager

4. Restart the computer to complete installation of the updates.

Use wireless troubleshooting tools

Use automatic tools to test and fix a variety of wireless conditions. If one tool does not resolve the issue, use another one.

Run HPSA network diagnostics

Use Network Check in HP Support Assistant to perform network diagnostics for your computer.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant, or click the app icon  in the taskbar.

If the app is not installed on your computer, download the latest version from the HP Support Assistant website.

2. Select your computer, and then select HP Network Check under Troubleshooting and Fixes.

If a window displays prompting you for an administrator password or confirmation, type the requested credentials.

Selecting Network Check

3. Click Next, and then wait for the tool to complete.

If the diagnostic test finds one or more issues, continue with these steps.

4. Under Possible Root Causes, click the listed possible cause, select a recommended action, and then follow the instructions.

Selecting a recommended action

5. After completing the recommended actions, click Re-check.

6. Repeat these steps until the network connectivity issue is resolved or all possible root causes and repairs have completed.

Run Windows Network and Internet Troubleshooter

Use the Windows Network and Internet Troubleshooter to test and repair the network connection.

1. In Windows, right-click the network connection icon , and then select Troubleshoot problems.

2. Wait while the Windows Network Diagnostic analyzes the network connection.

If prompted, select the type of network problem, and then follow the instructions to resolve the issue.

3. Review any information that displays about problems found, what was fixed, or actions you can take to resolve the problems.

4. Complete any suggested actions.

Reset the wireless router, gateway, or modem

Reset the wireless network hardware.

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router, gateway, combined modem/router, or broadband modem.

3. Wait at least 5 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord.

4. Wait until all the lights turn on, and then review the lights to identify the status of the network connection.

• All the lights are off: Check the power source by plugging the power cord into another power outlet. Service or replace your wireless router or broadband modem if it cannot be turned on.

• Only the Power light is on and the other lights are off: A network connection might not be detected. Inspect the cable carrying the internet signal for damage, and then make sure the cable is securely connected to the network device.

• Only the internet or online lights blink or do not turn on: There might be an issue with your internet service provider. You can wait until service is restored or contact your internet service provider for further assistance.

5. Turn on your computer, and then wait for computer to connect to the wireless network.

HP PCs - Advanced wireless network and internet troubleshooting (Windows 10)

Resolve wireless connectivity or internet issues if your connection stops working as expected.

Reinstall wireless drivers

Use Device Manager to uninstall, and then reinstall the wireless adapter.

2. In the list of devices, double-click Network adapters.

3. Right-click your wireless device, and then select Uninstall device.

Uninstalling the wireless driver with Device Manager

4. When the Uninstall Device screen displays, select Delete the driver software for this device if it displays, and then click Uninstall.

5. In the Device Manager window, select Network adapters, select Action, and then select Scan for hardware changes.

Selecting Scan for hardware changes

6. After the network adapter name displays, close Device Manager, and then restart the computer.

Run Windows Update (Windows 10)

Update your Windows 10 computer using Windows Update.

1. In Windows, search for and open Check for updates.

If there are any available updates, they begin automatically.

2. After the updates install, restart your computer when prompted.

Manually change network settings

Create a restore point in Windows, and then manually change the network settings.

1. In Windows, search for and open Create a restore point.

2. On the System Properties window, click Create.

Clicking Create on the System Properties window

3. Type a name for the restore point, and then click Create.

4. In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then select Run as administrator.

If a window displays prompting you for an administrator password or confirmation, type the requested credentials.

Selecting to run Command Prompt as an administrator

5. Type the following commands one at a time, pressing Enter after each one:

• netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

• netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

• netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

Typing commands in Command Prompt

6. Type netsh int tcp show global in Command Prompt, and then press Enter to open the TCP Global Settings.

Disabling the TCP Global Settings except Receive-Side Scaling State

7. Make sure all settings are disabled except Receive-Side Scaling State.

8. Close Command Prompt, and then restart the computer.

Restore your computer when Windows starts normally

Restore your computer to a previous point in time.

Restore an HP Computer from Windows | HP Computers | HP

Learn how to restore an HP computer from Windows.

1. Save any open files, and then close all open programs.

2. In Windows, search for and open Create a restore point.

3. On the System Protection tab, click System Restore.

Selecting System Restore in the System Properties window

4. In the System Restore window, click Next.

5. Select the restore point you want to use, and then click Next.

Selecting a restore point

6. Review your selection, and then click Finish.

7. Read the warning about not interrupting System Restore, and then click Yes.

CAUTION: 

Allow System Restore to complete without interruption to avoid corrupting the hard drive or causing additional damage to the computer.

Confirming System Restore cannot be interrupted

System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts the computer.

Other things to try

Resolve wireless connectivity or internet issues if your computer cannot connect or the network connection performs poorly.

Change the wireless environment

Changing the wireless environment can greatly impact the effectiveness of your wireless network.

1. Move the computer and router closer to each other, choosing a location where signal strength is strong.

2. Move the computer or router to a location where there are fewer solid objects between the router and the computer.

Solid objects, such as walls, metal furniture, and electrical appliances, might decrease the range or block connections.

3. If possible, remove metal objects that are between the router and computer or nearby.

4. Limit the number of devices that use the network at the same time, especially when streaming videos from the internet.

5. If you find that the wireless connection is still weak or has trouble connecting after changing the wireless environment, consider purchasing a different antenna for your router or set up another router as a signal repeater.

Restore BIOS default settings

Restore your computer BIOS to the default settings

Restore default BIOS settings (desktop, all-in-one pcs)

Restore the default BIOS settings for your Desktop or All-in-One computer.

NOTE: 

BIOS configurations vary, depending on computer model. For more information about accessing and navigating the BIOS menu, refer to the documentation for your computer model.

1. Restart your computer.

2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu displays.

3. In the File tab, select Apply Defaults and Exit.

4. Select Yes to confirm, and then exit the BIOS.

The computer restarts using the default settings.

Restore default BIOS settings (notebook pcs)

Restore the default BIOS settings for your notebook computer.

NOTE: 

BIOS configurations vary, depending on computer model. For more information about accessing and navigating the BIOS menu, refer to the documentation for your computer model.

1. Restart your computer.

2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu displays.

3. When the BIOS menu displays, press F9 to restore factory default settings.

4. Select Yes, and then press F10 to save changes and exit.

5. Select Yes to confirm.

The computer restarts using the default settings.

Change wireless adapter power options

Use Device Manager to change the power management properties for the wireless adapter.

2. In the list of devices, double-click Network adapters.

3. Right-click your wireless device, and then select Properties.

Selecting the wireless driver properties

4. Select the Power Management tab, clear the check box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, and then click OK.

5. Connect an external drive to the computer.

6. In Windows, search for and open Backup settings.

7. Click Add a drive, and then select a drive.

8. Click More options.

9. Click Back up now, and then wait for the back up to complete. This might take a few minutes or a few hours, depending on the size of the files.

Clicking Back up now to start the backup process

Reset the PC (Windows 10)

Reset your computer with a fresh installation of Windows 10.

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery options.

2. In the Recovery screen under Reset this PC, click Get started.

Clicking the Get Started button to begin the resetting the computer

3. Follow the instructions to reset your computer. This might take a few minutes.

Restore personal files on the PC

Restore the personal files on your Windows 10 computer.

1. Connect an external backup drive to the computer.

2. In Windows, search for and open Backup settings.

3. Click More options.

4. Scroll to the bottom of the Backup options screen, and then click Restore files from a current backup.

5. Select the files you want to restore, click the Restore button, and then wait for Windows to restore your personal files. This might take a few minutes or a few hours, depending on the size of the files.

Selecting, then restoring personal files on your computer

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your response. The product # of my device is OMEN by HP Laptop, 16-c0002dx.

Unfortunately, I am unable to complete the very first part of your answer.

You write:

"Use Device Manager to update hardware drivers such as the graphics, audio, wireless, or other drivers for your computer.

2. In the list of devices, select Mice and other pointing devices.

3. Right-click the wireless adapter, select Update driver, and then follow the instructions to install the updated driver."

However, when I select "Mice and other pointing devices", I am not even given the option of selecting the wireless adapter. This is all that I am given:Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

Here is what I get in Device Manager for network adapters:

Capture2.PNG

Which of these is my wireless network adapter??

HP Recommended

Hi@marcusarv,

Realtek RTL8852ae is the WIFI  card.

HP Recommended

The first several things have not worked. I am now stuck on this one:

You write: 

6. Type netsh int tcp show global in Command Prompt, and then press Enter to open the TCP Global Settings.

win-ss-disable-tcp-global-parameters-in-cmd-prompt.jfif

7. Make sure all settings are disabled except Receive-Side Scaling State.

These things are NOT all disabled on my computer (see below): 

Screenshot 2021-08-20 144119.png

However, your directions do not tell me how to disable them.

HP Recommended

I have now tried everything that you advised (other than a complete System Restore), and nothing has worked. And I am worried about doing a complete system restore, as I don't want to have to reinstall all of the programs and personalization features that took so long to install the first time.

HP Recommended

Hi@marcusarv,

`We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to be checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

HP Recommended

I bought an similar laptop (ENVY x360 15-eu0078ng) with the same WiFi card and i "bought" the same problems like you. Strange, that HP has not recognized this behaviour, because there are much other posts on the internet. Updating the driver doesen'n solve the problem, exactly like the "problem-solving-catalogue" send to you. Changing the WiFi card wit an Intel 200ax results in the same bad radio experience. From my point of view, there exists an hardware-based problem with the antenna an its installation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.