7 6 0 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Very weak wifi on brand new Pavilion 15 bj000nh

Pavilion 15 bj000nh
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all, I've a problem with my new HP Pavilion 15-bj000nh notebook, purchased few days ago.
The wi-fi connection is too weak, if I keep the PC one meter far from router I get only 3-4 bars of 5 in the connection properties and if I go just 10 meters and a pair of rooms far I get 1-2 bars of 5 and frequent disconnections. Also the speed degrades I see, and close to the router too is not at maximum.
Otherwise, my old HP 6735s notebook with Windows 7, had never problems in the same position (10 m) and keep 3-4 bars without disconnections. I verified the strength of wi-fi router with cell phone too (no problem), I already tried all the solutions suggested by the HP support assistant on PC and on the HP support site too, but without any results... I upgreaded the software of the Broadcom card (802.11n). IT helped a bit, but even with the newest software, my laptop has the connectivity problems. I cannot believe that a new NB can have a so weak connection... I have no other ideas different from an HW fault...
Thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,054 41,843 6,642 11,594
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Check page 43 of the Manual here:

Service Manual

You say Broadcom, but that is not one of the listed options: there is Realtek and Intel. 

I know it is not easy to do, but I would open the back and check to see how many antennae are present. I also would like to know what your device manager is showing as the installed wifi card? Braodcom what? If you have 2 antennae I would consider installing a better wireless card. If there is one antenna, your options are limited and not very good. 

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

In your document, it is listed:

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

It is a sigle antenna module, but shall I expect so bad performance like my laptop has? I mean in my opinion, a WLAN card in 2016 should have a reliable Wifi connection in 10 meters range of the router....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I totally agree but the single antenna models are just terrible. I wish they would stop doing it. 

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am really an amateur in this this topic...

Is it diffucult and costly to change it? Shall I find a HP service nearby to do this for me?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

No wireless card will work well with only a single antenna, and a dual band (2.4 and 5 ghz) will not work at all on one antenna... An antenna lead can be added but it takes almost complete disassembly. I doubt the Service Center would do it. I wish there were something I could tell you. A usb wireless dongle is actually your best option. 15 bucks on amazon.com and you will have good reception at the cost of losing access to one usb port. 

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for all your help! I'll give it a try, maybe it's just some software problems but anyway, HP really disappointed me... 😞

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation