Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-AB166US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am attempting to set up a hotspot using my computer, through a USB dongle. Setting up the network worked fine, but trying to turn it on (via the command netsh wlan start hostednetwork) gives me the error: 

The hosted network couldn't be started.
The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

I tried to enable the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter but it is missing from the device manager (even after showing hidden devices). Using the command prompt I viewed the network drivers and under "Hosted Network Supported" it says "No". Full details below

Driver : Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi M.2 Adapter
Vendor : Broadcom
Provider : Broadcom
Date : 1/26/2016
Version : 7.35.344.0
INF file : C:\Windows\INF\oem31.inf
Files : 3 total
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\bcmwl63a.sys
C:\Windows\system32\bcmihvsrv64.dll
C:\Windows\system32\bcmihvui64.dll
Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver
Radio types supported : 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b
FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
Hosted network supported : No
Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:
Open None
Open WEP
WPA-Enterprise TKIP
WPA-Enterprise CCMP
WPA-Personal TKIP
WPA-Personal CCMP
WPA2-Enterprise TKIP
WPA2-Enterprise CCMP
WPA2-Personal TKIP
WPA2-Personal CCMP
Vendor defined Vendor defined
Vendor defined Vendor defined
IHV service present : Yes
IHV adapter OUI : [00 10 18], type: [00]
IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll
IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {aaa6dee9-31b9-4f18-ab39-82ef9b06eb73}
IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Wireless Display Supported: Yes (Graphics Driver: Yes, Wi-Fi Driver: Yes)

Updating the drivers did not fix the problem. And under the power management tab for the network I've already checked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". 

Any ideas?

Thanks 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.