Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Unable to turn on WiFi.  It appears my adapter is fried.  Pressing the WiFi transmitter button on the top of the keyboard does nothing - the light stays orange.  Going into Network Adapters, there is no icon for the interenal WiFi adapter.  Doesn't even show in Device Manager.  After much troubleshooting and cursing, I told Device Manager to show me hidden devices...and there it was, greyed out: Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi  Adapter.  Under PROPERTIES | GENERAL it says:  Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45).  Then it says:  To fix the problem, reconnect the hardware device to the computer.  (Oh, that'shelpful! 🙄 ) To add to the bizarreness, under PROPERTIES | RESOURCES it says:  This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.   But under PROPERTIES | DETAILS, the property HAS PROBLEM has a value of FALSE😳What in tarnation....!  Anway, let me cut to the chase.  Can I uninstall/reinstall?  And if so, can you tell me how to reinstall this device?  I haven't done this in years.  And if that doesn't work....what's next?    Thanks.  

==JJS==
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, the Ralink RT3290 does not work with the newer builds of W10 and that is a very common problem that happens.

One fine day, the Ralink card just ups and disappears.

There is no fix other than to:

1. Replace the internal Ralink wifi card with one that works better on W10.

2. Buy a USB Wi-Fi adapter.

3. Reinstall Windows 8.1.

If you want to replace the internal Wi-Fi card, I recommend this model:

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter    HP part # 730668-001

You should be able to find this model Wi-Fi card on eBay.

Search by the HP part number.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the Wi-Fi card removal and replacement procedure.

c03593126.pdf (hp.com)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.