Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17t-cb000 CTO product# 5VX37AV#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wifi adapter says its not installed randomly after a windows update. the ethernet port works just fine. I've uninstalled and removed all drivers for it then restarted. nothing. I got it back once with a system restore but then it's gone again the next day. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Revelanche Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the WIFI adapter missing.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Here's a guided troubleshooter that will help fix this issue: Click here 

Try these steps: 

Go to Device manager > select the WIFI drivers under network adapter> Right click go to properties  > Under properties go to Power Management Tab> Uncheck  "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". 

If issue persists, continue with the below steps: 

• If your computer has a wireless key or button on or near the keyboard and the wireless activity light is off or amber in color, then press the key or button to enable your wireless adapter. This key might be the F10 key, F12 key or labeled with a symbol of an airplane. 

• If wireless activity comes on or the activity light turns blue, you have enabled wireless on your system. Try connecting to the Internet again. If problems persist, continue using these steps. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I did recovery and restore points a couple times and held the power button down for 20 seconds while disconnecting the power cord and that brought it back for a while but since the windows update, as you can see below, that is not possible.

wifi not connected.png

HP Recommended

@Revelanche

In that case, I would suggest you try downloading the driver from the Intel website.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

unfortunately that was the first thing I did. I showed hidden devices, uninstalled the device and removed drivers then downloaded the latest drivers and restarted. now it appears to come and go on restart. I seem to be able to get it back if I turn off my laptop, unplug the cord, hold the power button for 20 seconds and reboot. It's not guaranteed but it does work sometimes. 

HP Recommended

@Revelanche

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

1. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

1. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  2. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  3. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also, ensure Windows is up to date.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

this did not solve it. I've run it before. I think I've found out a cause. I've noticed that my computer does not come back on from sleep mood or when the monitor shuts off. I've disabled sleep mode and it will still not come back on. when that happens the wifi adapter disappears as well. now I'm able to sometimes get it back by turning off the laptop and then holding the power for 20 seconds and starting again but sometimes that takes a couple tries. I have, when the adapter is there, gone into power management and disabled letting the computer turn it off to save power. 

so currently there is the screen turn off/sleep mode issue and the wifi adapter disappearing.

HP Recommended

@Revelanche

I understand your concern. 

In that case, I would suggets you perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.