Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-da0xxx14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a few basic questions that can't be too difficult.  What  part number should I  use when shopping for a new WIFI card? The one in the subject line doesn't really seem to get a positive answer (that I understand). The antenna has dislodged from the card and I don't know  how to reattach it.  Does a new card come with an antenna? If not, do you have suggestions to reattach the antenna I  have?  TIA

Joel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Joel:

Get a magnifying glass or some cell phones have that feature, and check the wifi card and see if the antenna connector broke off the card and has become lodged inside of the antenna connector.

If it has, you may be able to dig the broken connector out of the wire using a pin and some needle nose pliers, so that you can reattach the antenna wire to a replacement card.

You can upgrade the card to this model...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card will have the same 72 MBPS throughput as the original wifi card on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, it will have a max throughput of 433 MBPS when you have an AC router with an excellent wifi signal strength.

The cards normally do not come with an antenna.

You would need to order the antenna kit in chapter 3 of your notebook's service manual and you will need to completely disassemble the notebook, including the display panel area to properly route the antenna wire.

That is why I recommend you try and see if you can fix the wire.

Of course if the entire connector is broken off the wire, you will have no choice but to replace the antenna.

Below is the link to the service manual if you didn't use it to open up your notebook.

HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi, Joel:

Get a magnifying glass or some cell phones have that feature, and check the wifi card and see if the antenna connector broke off the card and has become lodged inside of the antenna connector.

If it has, you may be able to dig the broken connector out of the wire using a pin and some needle nose pliers, so that you can reattach the antenna wire to a replacement card.

You can upgrade the card to this model...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card will have the same 72 MBPS throughput as the original wifi card on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, it will have a max throughput of 433 MBPS when you have an AC router with an excellent wifi signal strength.

The cards normally do not come with an antenna.

You would need to order the antenna kit in chapter 3 of your notebook's service manual and you will need to completely disassemble the notebook, including the display panel area to properly route the antenna wire.

That is why I recommend you try and see if you can fix the wire.

Of course if the entire connector is broken off the wire, you will have no choice but to replace the antenna.

Below is the link to the service manual if you didn't use it to open up your notebook.

HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Recommended

Superb, Paul!!  Thank you so much.  I will be sure to take those tips into the project.

Regards.

Joel

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Joel.

HP Recommended

Well, here's an update!  The new card was considerably larger (visually) than the original.  However, it did slip into the motherboard connector.  I experienced some trepidation at that point forward.  At the top right are the pins, left one is where the old one broke off.  While I waited for my caregiver to arrive, I double checked the existing antenna wire, and fortunately, the connector end of the wire was clear of any debris.  I did not have to dissemble the Touch Screen. My fingers and eyes are pretty much garbage, so my angel arrived and her deft fingers (even with massive fingernails) and eagle eyes were able to snap the antenna back on to the new card, to the left of the #2 in the pic. What is the AUX pin for? Careful routing of the wire, and snap the case back together, and then functional test---------TA DA!!!  Solid Wi-Fi signal!! 

Uh Oh.... Now my Blue Tooth signal is horrid!!  I have to lean my head/phones over my laptop to keep the signal from cutting out. Choppy for a few feet, then nothing.  Do Wi-Fi and Blue Tooth use the same card/antenna??  Now what??

NEW CARD

IMG_1971.JPG

OLD CARD

IMG_1972.JPG

OLD CARD (sorry for fuzzy)

IMG_1973.JPG

Suggestions>>????

Joel

HP Recommended

Hi, Joel:

You didn't order the Realtek 8821CE wifi card I recommended.

You ordered the Intel 3165 which requires two wifi antenna wires be connected to it.

That is why the Bluetooth isn't working.  There is no reception for the Bluetooth due to the missing antenna wire.

You needed to order this model card...there is only one antenna terminal to connect the antenna wire to and it works both the Wifi and Bluetooth.

This was the cheapest one I could find on the eBay listing.

L17365-005 RTL8821CE GENUINE HP WIRELESS CARD 15-DW 15-DW0043DX (CA711-CB73) | eBay

I do see in that link of eBay listings I posted, that someone stuck the Intel 3165 AC in there by mistake.

Notice that there is only one antenna terminal to connect to just like the RTL8723DE card that you removed.

HP Recommended

Aw, snap. Thanks again Paul. Maybe I need to take another look at the old card I have; perhaps what I thought was broken, isn't. I did buy this antenna, which as you can see is a dual wire arrangement. I'll keep it in case I need to do more surgery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163906904175

Knockitoff20_1-1617111846544.jpeg

By the way, the p/n of the old wifi/bluetooth card is 915618-003

https://www.ebay.com/itm/915618-003-RTL8723DE-OEM-HP-WIRELESS-BLUETOOTH-CARD-17-BY-17-BY0021DX-CA712...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You could always buy a USB Bluetooth adapter and use then when necessary.

Amazon.com: ASUS USB-BT500 Bluetooth 5.0 USB Adapter with Ultra Small Design, Backward Compatible wi...

The dual band Intel card you installed is better than the Realtek one anyway.

HP Recommended

Hmm, something has got me thinking here. If the old wi-fi card only has one antennae port, and the (much better) Intel replacement has two wi-fi antennae, would it be possible (theoretically speaking) to route the second antennae into the laptop somewhere? Obviously it would mean a lot of disassembly but it might be worth it to get a second antenna into the machine, thus allowing for working Wi-Fi & Bluetooth with a better wi-fi card?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.