Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I’ve had my HP laptop for 7+ years & have never had a problem with the wireless internet before. Recently, I performed several recommended updates, the internet was working fine, I shut it down, didn’t use it for a few days, fired it back up today & now all of a sudden it does not even allow me to attempt to connect wirelessly. The feature has suddenly, somehow magically disappeared, & will only connect via Ethernet, which means I am huddled on the floor next to the wireless router trying to get this stupid thing to start working. I don’t understand what went wrong, but I’ve got a very important application I need to submit, & apparently tonight I will be completing said application from my hardwood floor huddled next to the couch because I’m forced to keep this plugged in via Ethernet. I wish I’d never performed any updates, because now I’m effectively screwed. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Go into updates and remove the update.

You can also go into the Device Manager, find the wireless adapter and rollback the driver update if there was one.

At seven years you should consider yourself lucky that the notebook is still working. 

With an older notebook, I would not perform any updates. I would consider it too risky.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.