Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 360

Hi everyone, so I just got my new computer today and I'm a little confused with the setup instructions. I bought the same computer two weeks ago and I followed the instructions set up the information. However, after a week, one day I turned on the computer and found that I could not find the network icon, so I searched for the diagnosis and it said the Ethernet cable is missing or something. I don't know what to do so I had to return it and buy a new one.

So I got my new one today and when I read through the instruction, I found it confused on the network setup part, where it says I can simply select the icon and connect to the available networks above but also says I need something like a broadband modem to plugin below. I'm confused because I don't know if it is the reason that caused the problem with my previous laptop, in which I didn't now purchase the modem or the wireless router. 

If anyone can help me with this, that would be great! Thank you.

pic.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sarahlby 

The WiFi hardware in your laptop has to talk to SOMETHING in order to access the Internet.

When you are at home, this is typically a Router that you get when you sign up for service with an Internet Service Provider (ISP).

That router broadcasts signals with codes known as SSIDs and your laptop can see those signals.  So when you click on that icon in tray area at the bottom right of the laptop screen, you will see a list of network names -- these are the SSIDs that your laptop is close enough to see.

To connect to your Router, you have to know what SSID it is broadcasting and if you don't know that, you need to contact your ISP (in my case, it is Verizon) to have them walk you through how to find out that information.

Now when you are in a public area, like a coffee shop, they have their own Router and they will tell you how to access is and what the WiFi password happens to be.  You will have to know this password for your Router in order to access it.  So once again, you will have to contact your ISP about this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, but I still don't get it. Couldn't I just connect to the internet at home with a password?

HP Recommended

@Sarahlby

You can't just connect to the Internet -- you have to connect to an Internet Service.  When you have cable TV service, for example, they normally bundle Internet service with that.  They install something called a Model which had ethernet jacks and a WiFi hotspot built in.  You then connect your PC to that box using an ethernet cable or a WiFi connection.

Some folks that don't have cable TV subscribe directly to an Internet service and don't deal with cable TV.

You don't use a password to access the Internet -- it's not a service in and of itself.

HP Recommended

I can now use the WIFI though, will that be affected if I don't connect the pc with the WIFI box?

HP Recommended

@Sarahlby 

The WiFi on your laptop is only a way to connect to a Router/Modem that projects a WiFi signal -- and that device talks to the Internet through your service provider.

But that presumes you are using YOUR Internet service -- and that might not be the case if you see a list of networks when you select WiFi, as if some other devices are close by and sending out a signal strong enough for your laptop to see them.

You really need to get in touch with your service provider to find out the NAME of the signal your Router/Modem is broadcasting -- that is called an SSID.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.