Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I need help please. Laptop will only pickup 2g WiFi after update. Went to system restore and it still wont find 5g WiFi. Other devices are connecting to 5g.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@C3FORDAD

Welcome to HP Community

Was your Notebook picking up 5 Ghz before?

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Next go to Device Manager, right click on the Wireless Driver, click Properties and then switch to the Advanced tab. You'll see a list of properties, one of which should mention 5GHz. Ensure it is Enabled or Selected

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@C3FORDAD

Welcome to HP Community

Was your Notebook picking up 5 Ghz before?

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Next go to Device Manager, right click on the Wireless Driver, click Properties and then switch to the Advanced tab. You'll see a list of properties, one of which should mention 5GHz. Ensure it is Enabled or Selected

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

My computer ran fine until a little while ago.  It was able to see 5G networks just fine.  The only thing I can find that has happened recently is a windows update and I can not install an older network driver to see if that is the problem.  I even tried resetting my computer which did not help.  I tried to uninstall the driver and then install the original driver from your webpage but that did not work either.

I installed the HP Support Assistant and it didn't help at all.

HP Recommended

@pamelamann
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, Let's perform Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

Next, BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Next, roll back to the previously installed driver.

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Right-click the network adapter, then click Properties.

3. Click the Driver tab.

4. Click the Roll Back Driver button, 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope didnt work.  I did a total reset last night.  Just tried the BIOS stuff, was able to go to the 2017 version of the driver but still nothing.

HP Recommended

@pamelamann

Next, perform system restore which returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected:

1. Save any open files and close all open programs.

2. In Windows, search for restore, and then open Create a restore point from the results list.

Creating a restore point

System Properties opens with the System Protection tab selected.

3. On the System Protection tab, click System Restore.

Selecting System Restore on the System Protection tab

The System Restore window opens.

4. Click Next.

The System Restore window, with Next circled in red

5. Click the Restore Point that you want to use, then click Next.

The confirmation window opens.

6. Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.

The Confirm your restore point System Properties window, with Finish selected

7. Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. This can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click Yes in the warning that appears.

The warning that appears before beginning a System Restore

8. System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The only restore point I have is to this morning when I did the factory reset.  There was a windows update done at that time which created one.  Do I go to that one?

HP Recommended

Ok, did the restore anyway. Didn't help.  In fact it took longer for my computer to connect to the internet.

HP Recommended

@pamelamann

• Do you see yellow exclamation or red X on the wireless icon?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps:

Wireless Module test:

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays.
  5. Wireless Module Test - This test checks that the BIOS detects the wireless module and that it is enabled.

To run the test, click the Wireless Module, and then click Run once.

The Wireless Module Test takes 30 seconds to complete.
Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the test and it said it passed.  It also said version 6.8.1.0  Still no 5G. Also no exclamation marks or red X's.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.