Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j198ez
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I'm using a HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j198ez Notebook PC running Windows 10 64bit.

I have an external display, and it's the only display I need, hence, the laptop lid is always closed.

The peripherals I use are:

Microsoft Designer Mouse/Keyboard Wireless Kit - Bluetooth

Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet - USB

Logitech Rumblepad 2 Game Controlle - USB

None of the above mentioned peripherals wake the laptop from sleep. And I am forced to open the lid everytime I need to use the laptop.

Previously I was using a Logitech USB keyboard and a Logitech Wireless Mouse (wth USB dongle) - both were able to wake the laptop from sleep with no problem. Gave up on them because I needed the extra USB slots.

I also have a Bluetooth speaker set, which led me to belive that the bluetooth connection of the laptop is closing whenever the laptop is going into sleep, since it starts searching for other devices to pair with. This would explain why the mouse and keyboard can't wake the laptop, even though I have checked the "Allow this device to wake computer from sleep" boxes, for both, in the Device Manager dialogue.

Any solutions for this?

I would also be happy if the tablet or gamepad would wake the laptop. But the "Allow this device to wake computer from sleep" check boxes are greyed out for these devices.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@mirceavlad

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand you want the device to wake up without manually opening the LID,

Here's what I suggest as a workaround as the gamepad options to wake up from sleep using this device is disabled:

1. On the Power Options window, from the left pane, click Choose what closing the lid does.

2. From the System Settings window, from under the Power and sleep buttons and lid settings section, from the When I close the lid drop-down lists under the On battery and Plugged in columns, choose "Do Nothing" action when you close your laptop’s lid.

For more details on navigation: Click here

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that i may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

This way, you wouldn't have to go back and forth to change the options and when the LID is closed,
the device goes into a standby mode that saves power.

If you need an alternate solution or any other assistance - keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Riddle_Decipher

Thanks for the quick reply.

The lid close/open action is already set to "do nothing" for both ON battery and Plugged-In cases.

The problem is that the laptop disables bluetooth when in sleep (or at least that's my conclusion).

Am my keyboard and mouse are connected to the laptop via Bluetooth, hence they can't wake the laptop.

Is there an option to prevent bluetooth connection to close while device is sleeping? If that's the case.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@mirceavlad

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I was under the impression that you had the sleep mode off as well, 

Since you don't you might want to turn that off as well as there are no alternate options available when it comes to using Bluetooth devices:

The only other thing I could find on my research to help you out is listed below:

Make sure the Power Management settings for the Bluetooth adapter, mouse and keyboard are set correctly

In Device Manager right click the device and select Properties. In the Properties Window check the Power Management tab. This tab should have the option to allow Windows to turn off the device to save power. Make sure this is not checked. Make sure the check box to allow the device to wake the computer is checked. Make sure you perform these steps for the keyboard, mouse, and Bluetooth adapter. Note that the option to wake the PC for the Bluetooth adapter may be grayed out.

1. Check the BIOS 

• for any settings that would control waking with external devices. I didn't need to do this but I'm adding it just to be safe. Some BIOS versions will have a setting that disables the ability to wake the notebook with external devices. As yours is working while the lid is open it's unlikely a change needs to be made here, but it never hurts to look. Access the BIOS with F10 while starting up.

2. Check the power plan sleep settings. Disable Hibernation and enable Hybrid sleep. 

• Press Windows Key + R, type powercfg.cpl, click OK, click Change plan settings beside the selected plan, click chance advanced power settings, make sure the active profile is selected in the dropdown menu, expand the Sleep section, expand the Hibernate after option, set both battery and plugged in options to Never. Expand the Allow hybrid sleep option and set both battery and plugged into On.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher Thank for the effort.

Tried turning the sleep mode off, as well as Hybernate and leaving the Hybrid sleep on only. Doesn't work.

Sleep on, Hybernate Off, Hybrid Sleep On, still no.

I could find no setting in BIOS regarding bluetooth or waking the lapton in any way.

It's a mistery how my old usb keyboard and wireless mouse (logitech unifying tech, with dongle) cand wake my laptop perfectly. But this hi-tech bluetooth kit can't.

HP Recommended

@mirceavlad

Thank you for replying,

Perhaps, you could disable sleep and hybrid sleep,

Use the laptop as a desktop connected to the power source at all times,

LID closed and monitor turned on, this is the only alternate to this issue.

I've tried that on my laptop and it seems to work fine,

I don't have to worry about sleep or waking up as it's always on and I can do my work on the external display instead.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

For me this is not an option.

I will not leave my laptop on to consume energy when it's not needed (and that's most of the day).

Secondly, I'd rather not hear the coolers in my sleep.

Thanks for the effort though.

HP Recommended

@mirceavlad

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

Since there aren't any alternate solutions available, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm having the exact same scenario, where I use my laptop with my lid close, and have it connected to 2 external monitors. 

When the computer goes to sleep, the bluetooth get's "cut off" and my BT mouse can never wake up the computer. I've already verifed that my mouse's settings have the "check" for "Allow this device to wake up computer". Still no luck..

I have a new late 2017 HP Spectre x360 15". I would really like to have this fixed. I just left the Apple world (Macbook pro) to try a PC again. I'm mostly happy, but having to manually open the lid and click the trackpad/mouse to wake up my computer every time (instead of using the BT mouse to wak it up) is TOTALLY not acceptable for me.

Hope someone in HP can help

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I've had the same problems and none of the above fixes have worked.

I found one simple fix that seems to work:

Power Options -> USB Settings -> make sure USB selective suspend setting is "disabled" so that the usb connected devices - e.g. mouse, keyboard - can wake the device when it's asleep.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.