Did you mean: 
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Wi-Fi is Non-existent: Orange Light Is On Suddenly

HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv6t-7300 CTO Select Edition Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been trying to solve this problem all afternoon to no avail.

Nothing or no one I've spoken to has been helpful, and I'm tired of getting the same regurgitated responses from 100+ other boards... if it worked for all those people I wouldn't be asking you the same thing again now would I?

I was literally just browing Amazon when suddenly the wifi went off. 

I was thinking "Ok it's just a temporary thing, it can do that sometimes." that was until I noticed that the wifi light (f12) was orange. Then I thought to myself "Has that ever been orange before?"

Then I ended up opening, rather, trying to open wifi settings to see if other networks neraby could work like xfinity... only to find out that it doesn't show up. Physcailly, nothing shows up where the wifi button is supposed to be. I press it and there's just this empty "Network & Internet Settings" that's all I can click. So I click it, and instead of wifi being on the top left, it's not there. What I see instead is status.

So then I'm getting irritated.

I'm like "Ok, do what you used to do on your old PCs and take out the battery and hold the button for seconds."

I did that. Still orange, still no wifi networks.

At this point I'm getting beyond irritated, so I'm basically aggressivley searching google for what the issue is. Mind you  that it has nothing to do with my wifi because it works perfectly fine on my cell and on my other netbook. So I know that it's an issue with this laptop.

I see this checklist, I'm like "Ok let's check it out."

One says to take out battery and restart, I already did that.

Another says to check out device managers and unistall wifi adapter or something of that nature, nothing like that shows up for me under that arrow so I'm like "Ok well that doesn't work, moving on."

Something else says to do troubleshooting, did that and honestly troubleshooting never helps for me anyway.

Another says to upday BIO or something of that nature. Come to find our I need some sort of SSID? Can't find that anywhere so I'm left at a loss.

Basically I'm stuck here with this laptop that I just bought off eBay with no wifi because suddenly on today of all days it decided to spotanousely destroy wifi as if it never exsisted on this PC.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, and I've already tried everything I can. If you're going to reply with the basic regurgitated robotic computer resposne of how I should fix this issue, do not respond, you're not helping me.

I need help and I need it fast because I use this PC for school and work, I have the other one as a backup for emergencies but it's already at it's limit with the amount of cracks in it, so I need this issue fixed.

I don't understand why or what even happened.

One second I'm on Amazon, the next it's like I've never had wifi ever in life.

4 REPLIES 4
Level 17
Level 17
43,981 43,767 7,022 12,379
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You have a component that was working and now it is not. "honestly troubleshooting never helps for me anyway"

"If you're going to reply with the basic regurgitated robotic computer resposne of how I should fix this issue, do not respond, you're not helping me"

Not sure what that response may be. It seems apparent to me that the wireless card has died and needs to be replaced. 

If your car refused to crank when you turned the key it would obviously need a new battery. If your laptop can't connect to wifi or see wifi and acts like wifi does not exist, then its the wireless card. 

Easy to replace and not very expensive. Prety sure it is not the answer you want but I am about 95% sure its the right answer. 

Post back if you want any more help. If you want to argue don't bother. 

0 Kudos
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok.

So when it works when connected to ethernet what is that called? I'm just curious.

Do you have any personal recomendations as to where to aquire a wireless card? Is that the only option?

As I've said it works when connected to the ethernet cable, so I'm wondering if there is any other solution or any steps I can take prior to taking it to that extreme.

I've also heard there is a type of usb that you can plug into your laptop that gives you the wifi so that you don't need to constantly use the ethernet, do you happen to know what that's called?

Thanks Huffah.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
43,981 43,767 7,022 12,379
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The wired ethernet is a different device so your logic just isn't helping you here. If you are going to mangle my name and make fun of me you can find your own wireless card. Good luck. 

0 Kudos
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok.

I didn't make fun of you, what I remembered was Huffah until I saw your reply.

If you don't want to help Huffer then that's fine.

Thanks for leaving a comment.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation