Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-ba012no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI

I have been helping my friend with his Notebook 15-ba012NO/ W7A40EA. It turns out that the DC-in Power connector was broken. It has been replaced and it works fine now.

While I was working with this connector problem, I noticed that the Wi-fi wasn’t there or perhaps I should say that I management to get it started but then it disappeared again when I restarted the laptop.

I have just got it back again before I closed it. That´s why I know it is an Intel Dual Band AC-3165 with Bluetooth 4.2

I have been in the  device management – tried to update the Wi-fi Card.

I have been on the Support site for this specific model and been seeking a driver update without any luck.

Tried HP Support Assistant without any luck.

I have added the latest BIOS update F.37A for this model. It turned out that the BIOS was newer updated.

Windows are up to date. It took quit some time, because it hasn’t been used for the last 1 ½ year at least.     

I have searched in this forum and can see that I´m not the only one which have had a problem like this but haven’t found a fix for this problem.

It seems to be a software issue and not hardware issue.     

I hope somebody can direct my in the right directionWI-FI .JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

I ordered the Intel Dual Band wi-fi 6 AX200 (no vPro) and it was delivered this afternoon.

I replaced the old AC3165 (broken) with the new one. Besides the connector are small and not easy to get attached it went fairly quickly.

I powered up the laptop and voila wi-fi appeared again. Added the Intel driver and it is now just working as a laptop are supposed to do and even better than when it was bought.

I can therefore confirm that this model can easily be upgraded with a newer wi-fi card. Just remember to get the no VPro version.

I have now replaced the broken DC-in power connector and the wi-fi card and my friend have a laptop that he almost had  written off. I will try to convince him that he should add an Sata SSD instead of the HD. The HD is the bottleneck in this laptop.

I looked at the hard drive status. It has been on for approx. 487 hours like 20 days. So, I guess the laptop has been broken for a long time because the machine was bought in September 2016.

Thanks for a great forum and for the response it led me in the correct direction.

20210407_181440.jpg

Let us close the Topic now

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Kelund

Welcome to HP Support Community

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

At this point I suggest perform a Reset and check if that works

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I had already decided to do a recovery of Windows 10. It did not help at all. The notebook har been updated with alle the latest driver I have been able to find and work just fine, but without the WIFI.  

The WIFI card are not found any more and have not been able to see it in Device manger. I believe it must be broken (dead).  

My next step must be to replace it with a new one.

I was thinking of buying an Intel Dual Band AX200 card (Non Vpro).

Would that be possible to replace it with this card. It is the same form factor, but a newer card?

HP Recommended

Please refer to page 2 in the Service Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04763947 for list of compatible and tested Wireless Cards

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KraxyToad, 

I do not believe your manual reference is the same as I have looked at

HP Notebook PC (AMD) * Models: 15-ba100 – 15-ba199 * Models: 15-ba000 – 15-ba099 * Models: 15-bf100 ...

Page 10 Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165.JPG

I know it is a Intel Dual Bank Wireless AC 3165 and it is not a single antennas but a double 

HP Recommended

If your Notebook has the AMD Processor then it should support the  Intel Dual Bank Wireless AC 3165 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI KrazyToad, 

Yes my model have the AMD Processor and I know the WI-FI card are the Intel Dual Band AC 3165. I just whould like to know if the newer card Intel Dual Band AX 200 can be used. It the same form factor M.2 2230 and it will be version non Vpro. As I see it there should be no issue. I´m well aware the it is not from the manual, but AC 3135  is a rather old version. Kindly  

HP Recommended

Yes the Notebook hasn't been tested with the Intel Dual Band AX 200 but since both WLan card has the same Form Factor, most likely the replacement Card should work

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

I ordered the Intel Dual Band wi-fi 6 AX200 (no vPro) and it was delivered this afternoon.

I replaced the old AC3165 (broken) with the new one. Besides the connector are small and not easy to get attached it went fairly quickly.

I powered up the laptop and voila wi-fi appeared again. Added the Intel driver and it is now just working as a laptop are supposed to do and even better than when it was bought.

I can therefore confirm that this model can easily be upgraded with a newer wi-fi card. Just remember to get the no VPro version.

I have now replaced the broken DC-in power connector and the wi-fi card and my friend have a laptop that he almost had  written off. I will try to convince him that he should add an Sata SSD instead of the HD. The HD is the bottleneck in this laptop.

I looked at the hard drive status. It has been on for approx. 487 hours like 20 days. So, I guess the laptop has been broken for a long time because the machine was bought in September 2016.

Thanks for a great forum and for the response it led me in the correct direction.

20210407_181440.jpg

Let us close the Topic now

HP Recommended

I'm glad you got this sorted out

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.