Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ASCSD
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wi fi keeps disconnecting on new Hp Pavilion 17-e042

I have had a new Hp Notebook for about 2 months and the Wifi keeps randomly disconnecting, interupting my work constantly.   HP pavilion 17-e042 Notebook product number - F2T92EA#ABU. Windows 8.

I have another older laptop and ipad which work fine, so i'm sure its the laptop and not the wifi connection.

Any ideas how to stop this happening?

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
Retired
Retired
5,476 6,075 339 867
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ASCSD,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I see that you are having some wireless problems and I will be happy to help. You have provided pretty much all the information that I need except for one piece. In your Device Manager what do you have listed for a Network Adapter?

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
ASCSD
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi BHK6,

Thank you for your reply.

If I go into Device Manager and click on Network adapters, three things show up --

Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

I hope this is the information you need.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5,476 6,075 339 867
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ASCSD,

Try reinstalling your Realtek driver. After you download it right click the file and Run as Administrator. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ASCSD
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi BHK6,

Thanks for the information.

I reinstalled the Realtek driver last night,  thought I would leave it a day and see how it went, it was working really well all last night, didnt disconnect once,  but have just turned it on and after about 10 minutes the connection showed as limited, then disconnected altogether - so i had to manually connect to network again.

Seems strange after it was working so well last night. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks so much for your help.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Retired
Retired
5,476 6,075 339 867
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ASCSD,

Here is a link to a third-party website with some steps to try. Give those a shot and let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ASCSD
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi BHK6

Thanks for the link,  just gone through those and nothing seems to be working, its back to constantly disconnecting.

I was wondering if when i reinstalled the realtek driver if I was meant to unistall the old one? And what one should be removed?

Just wondering as it seemed to be working perfectly when I intially installed it, then once the laptop was turned off and turned back on it went back to behaving how it had before - almost like it had started using the old one again.

What would you suggest?  

I was considering trying to return the laptop as I've only had it since Dec 2013, but then worry that any laptop with windows 8 will have the same problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5,476 6,075 339 867
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ASCSD,

Yes, try uninstall the Realtek RTL8188EE adapter and then install the driver I gave you earlier. If that doesn't work then I would recommend contacting HP Total Care because you are in warranty and they will have the option to log in to your computer. You can reach them at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or visit this link if you are outside North America.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ASCSD
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi BHK6,

Thank you I will try that today. I will contact HP Total care if it doesnt work.

Thank you for all your help and advice, much appreciated.

ASCSD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MaadDaawg
Level 1
4 4 0 4
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

At least you got a known min wifi card manufacturer, the one in my ENVY is a Ralink ???

I, like many others are having this disconnect problem with HP notebooks.  I am not aware of this problem on any other brand notebook

HP remoted into my wife's computer two days ago and did the driver thing.  It didn't help.  I had been told that if the driver thing didn't work they'd RMA my notebook and repair the hardware problem - when I called them they told me to GO POUND SALT as HP will not replace a bad mini wifi card.  So I asked, what do I do then, throw it in the trash?  No answer.

This running people in circles, which has been my experience as well as many others on the HP Support Forum is unacceptable.  The KNOW they have a problem with this but refuse to do what is necessay to fix the problem.

One fix that may work is buying a third party USB Network adapter, but that should never even be an option if HP had decent customer service... which they unfortunately don't.

LAST HP I'LL EVER BUY

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation