Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-bs115dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP laptop, 15-bs115dx, that needs to connect to the 5ghz band.  The wifi card in it isn't capable of it, so I wanted to upgrade it.  I was looking through the maintenance and service guide here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257 and found a few options for the new WLan card, and specifically that the Intel 9461(Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9461 802.11 AC 1x1 WiFi + BT5 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) (MU-MIMO
supported)) Part # L25889-005 was compatible - and available at the HP Parts store at a good price (others are more expensive or out of stock).

The issue is... when I installed it, it's not working.  A replacement was shipped out because I thought the card might be broken, but the replacement also didn't work.  At this point I'm suspecting that the card is actually not compatible, and I am hoping for some verification of that.  And if so, which cards are compatible, since I apparently can't trust that list?

I will say I received both cards in a box with the correct part number, but neither of them had any labelling on the chip itself that it was the same part.  I've updated the BIOS to the most recent version, but the card doesn't come up at all at detected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The reason the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9461 doesn't work is because it is a Companion RF (CRF) card.

It only works on notebooks that came with it because it needs a processor that supports wifi within the processor.

Basically, the card is only a 'partial' wifi card.  Between it and the processor you get wifi.

So, the card you need is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The only place I have been able to find this model is on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card has the same throughput as the Intel 9421, and also only needs one antenna cable connected to it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The reason the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9461 doesn't work is because it is a Companion RF (CRF) card.

It only works on notebooks that came with it because it needs a processor that supports wifi within the processor.

Basically, the card is only a 'partial' wifi card.  Between it and the processor you get wifi.

So, the card you need is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The only place I have been able to find this model is on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card has the same throughput as the Intel 9421, and also only needs one antenna cable connected to it.

HP Recommended

That's more than a little frustrating.... 

Would the HP listed Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter be the same?  I don't need the higher throughput, I just need it to connect to the 5ghz band (it's for an employee stationed at a highschool that recently disabled their 2.4ghz).

Having already ordered through HP, I am hoping to be able to exchange what I have, if not then I will need to see about a return or what can be done.

HP Recommended

The Intel 3168 needs two antenna cables, or the bluetooth won't work.

I just checked the HP parts store for the RTL8821CE and it is still on back order.  It's been that way for a year or more now.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, helps understand why this wasn't working for me.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The RTL8821CE should work just fine for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.