Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7-4106el Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys, 

My HP pavilion dv7-4106el Entertainment Notebook PC (with the specs; i5, M430, 2.27GHz, 6.0GB, windows 10 -64 bits, p/n: 584307-001) does not display WiFi or Bluetooth in the taskbar and device manager. I have updated the Windows, but it didn't solve the problem. However, the laptop connects to the Internet from a wired connection. 

Meanwhile, the WiFi toggle button which is an Fn key does not change indicator colour (it is always orange colour). I don't know if the problem is from the key or the network adapter is faulty? The network adapter currently in the laptop is Intel wifi link 1000. 

• Does the adapter require any updates or replacement? If yes, please I want an upgrade that would support both WiFi and Bluetooth.
  • Otherwise what is the solution? 

Thanks guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The problem with the Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter is that it has no driver support for W10.

Your notebook has a BIOS whitelist which prevents installing any other model wifi adapter than the one that came with your PC from working.

You have two options:

Go back to W7 where everything will work as it is supposed to.

Purchase a USB Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter that is supported for W10.

Amazon.com: USB WiFi Bluetooth Adapter, 600Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz Wireless Network External Receive...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The problem with the Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter is that it has no driver support for W10.

Your notebook has a BIOS whitelist which prevents installing any other model wifi adapter than the one that came with your PC from working.

You have two options:

Go back to W7 where everything will work as it is supposed to.

Purchase a USB Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter that is supported for W10.

Amazon.com: USB WiFi Bluetooth Adapter, 600Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz Wireless Network External Receive...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.

But I had the same issue when I was running the system on windows 7, then I thought It'll be resolved if I updated or upgraded the system. Moreover, the driver for Intel wifi link 1000 is not even listed in my device manager, under network adapters. But the hardware is present (I saw it when the casing was opened to verify). 

I tried sourcing for the driver in the Intel support/community but they said support for Intel wifi link 1000 has been discontinued.

So I'm wondering if the network adapter is bad, or it's due to the absence of its driver, or the toggle button which is an Fn key has an issue; as it has always been indicating an orange light despite pressing it several times for it to probably indicate white colour (even when the system was running on Windows 7 and now ,10)???

Can I get the Intel wifi link 1000 driver online?

Please what do you think?

Best Regards, 

Kodenz

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I looked up the specs for the Intel Wifi Link 1000 Wi-Fi adapter, and that model card is Wi-Fi only, and is not a combination Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter.

That means your notebook either never had built in Bluetooth, or the separate Bluetooth module is turned off.

The whitelist cannot be circumvented, but you may have a problem that can fixed by doing this, if the Wi-Fi card itself is not dead, since it is not showing up at all in the device manager.

Since you have Windows 10 installed, make a bootable Ubuntu installer.

Get Ubuntu | Download | Ubuntu

Create a bootable USB stick with Rufus on Windows | Ubuntu

Boot from the installer and select the option to 'Try Ubuntu' Without installing'

See if you can turn on the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Ubuntu.

If you can, turn them on, shut down the PC, remove the installer, restart the PC and when you get into W10, the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth should be showing up in the device manager.

They may or may not work however because as I wrote earlier, there is no actual W10 driver support for that model Wi-Fi adapter.

If you cannot turn on the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Ubuntu, most likely the Wi-Fi adapter is completely dead, and you should be able to replace it with the same part number that should be on the other side of the card.

You must use the same exact part number that is on the card now.  Not just any Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000 card will work.

W10 will automatically install the driver for the separate HP Bluetooth adapter if your notebook has one.

HP Recommended

Thanks again, I'll try the UBUNTU tweak. However, sourcing for the WiFi adapter with the same part number may be a bit difficult, as it's of an old machine.

Meanwhile, does the part number begin with INT or is it the other one that is stated as PB#? 

I think my notebook should have inbuilt Bluetooth compatibility, I saw a port with "Bluetooth" inscribed below it on the motherboard, just next to the port for plugging the notebook's speakers - with "speaker" inscribed below it too. 

Quick question: does a faulty/damaged notebook keyboard cause system malfunctions of any kind? If replaced what's the likelihood of subsequent faults? Is it preferable to use an external keyboard? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

When I look in the service manual for your notebook, it doesn't even list the Intel Wi-Fi link 1000 as a supported Wi-Fi adapter, so I don't know what the HP part number for it would be.

The HP part number for the Wi-Fi card would look like one of those listed in chapter 3 of the service manual on page 26.

6 digits, dash, 3 digits

c02666747 (hp.com)

Since I am not a PC repair tech by trade or training, unfortunately I would not be able to help you with any malfunctioning keyboard questions.

If you cannot turn on the Wi-Fi adapter in Ubuntu and your notebook also has keyboard issues, I recommend that you cut your losses and buy a new or refurbished notebook PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.