sujitmohanty Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

WiFi disconnection /download speed reaches 0 upon lid close

HP Pavilion ab221tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The wifi chipset inside my HP ab221tx is a realtek rtl8723BE.  My notebook experiences download speeds  reaching zero immediately upon lid close & may be the laptop's wifi also disconnects. By the time I open the lid & the display turns on,the wifi would have got itself connected.

I googled a lot but was unable to figure out if it's an OS issue/os build issue/setting issue.

I have tried things like
*reintalling the driver from oem site & also updating it
*disabling power saving options of the wifi adapter".
*tweaking advanced settings in power plans (ensured wireless adapter performance is set to maximum in all power plans)

I am facing this issue since the last three days. I remember installing certain apps like PC Remote(Beta) & WIN-Remote Control, which enable you to make your android smartphone's touchscreen act like a laptop's touchpad. While doing this , I came across an article where they suggested to enable "wake on magic packet" in the advanced tab of LAN adapter properties. I just went there to check if it was enabled or not but I found it to be enabled (ideal setting as suggested). Thereafter I had changed none of the settings.

I have since uninstalled all those "pc control softwares/ reinstalled those wifi and lan adapters/re-enabled maximum performance of the network adapter in power plans/disabled sleep "do nothing" on lid close & re-unchecked allow the computer to turn off this device to save power but still face this wifi disconnection issue upon lid close. I really do not understand what went wrong!

Is it likely that these softwares would have caused the issue? How can I fix it?

6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
70488 8475 18213
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post

Hi,

Most likely the WiFi adapter is turned off when the ;id close (sleep mode). Please try the following steps to turn it to stay on when sleep

(a) Go to Device Manager and expand Network adapters,

(b) Right click WiFi adapter and select Properties,

(c) Go to Power Management tab,

(d) Untick "Allow the computer to ......",

(e) Click OK

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
sujitmohanty Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post

Thanks! But I have mentioned that "I have already unchecked that power saving option" the way you suggest!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Provost Provost
Provost
70488 8475 18213
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post

Hi,

Please also try to go to the Power Options and set it so it does Nothing when the lid is closed. More information:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/wireless-disconnects-when-lapt...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
sujitmohanty Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post

Thanks but I have already done that
0 Kudos
Valnei Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post

I'm facing the same issue.

0 Kudos
sujitmohanty Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post

Uninstall that WLAN driver completely.  Download the latest HP Provided one. Install it.

Make the following changes:

-disable power saving options of the wifi adapter.
-tweak advanced settings in power plans (set wireless adapter performance to maximum in all power plans)

- DO NOT update the WLAN driver manually and ensure it does not get auto-updated in windows update.Use a tool like wushowhide to unmark and hide updates you don't want.

If problem still persists, format & reinstall the latest windows 10  LTSB edition on your notebook and make the above changes

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation