cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
diyteatime
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

WiFi does not work

HP Recommended
Inspirion n5050 laptop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi!  I have an HP Inspirion n5050 laptop;  OS is MS Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium. 

I cannot seem to get WiFi working:  I have

1.  Network adapter: Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n  

-  I've checked for driver updates; the message comes back that i have latest update installed.

-  right-clicking to get to Properties/Advanced, i noticed there was no 'Network Address' -- i input the g/u/i # from my router (?), and re-booted the laptop: 

-- there is still no option for me to connect to my home wireless network;

-- my laptop still does not recognize/show any other neighboring wireless networks (tho it does show 3 or 4  'static' historic ones i've used, like my parents' in another state)

[ and if it helps, but i'm thinking this is a red herring: 

2.  Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter.  I don't think i even need this; the update is problematic so i didn't accept/install. ]

COMPLICATING things is, i am utilizing an external wireless Logitech keyboard, as the installed keyboard on my laptop doesn't fully function.  I can see the Function/Wireless toggle ? F2 key; but, using either keyboard doesn't seem to make any difference.  If there IS an external toggle/switch (i can't find one...) PLEASE let me know -- I can't recall the exact error message from earlier Troubleshooting runs, but something relating to "turn ON the WiFi function" comes up.  I cannot find a workaround to this F2 wifi toggle, or even determine if it's the problem) 

I'm grateful for anyone extending bandwidth. . . thanks! 

Any thoughts on what may be going wrong, or what i can check?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
138,019 92,681 21,299 28,615
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I suggest you post your question on the Dell Inspiron notebook support forum, since your notebook is manufactured by Dell, not HP.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/bd-p/Inspiron

When I come across issues like yours, I back up my files and do a factory reset of the PC.

If that doesn't resolve the problem the next thing to consider is replacing the wifi adapter.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I suggest you post your question on the Dell Inspiron notebook support forum, since your notebook is manufactured by Dell, not HP.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/bd-p/Inspiron

When I come across issues like yours, I back up my files and do a factory reset of the PC.

If that doesn't resolve the problem the next thing to consider is replacing the wifi adapter.

View solution in original post

diyteatime
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1.  re:  posting do Dell - you know, i appreciate that, as honestly.... i wasn't thinking of that.  

2.  re:  factory reset.  Given your expertise, I appreciate your sharing, that's what you would do.  Between xmas readying, i'll be backing up files, readying for a big startover, as i'm not feeling very hopeful re: #1 -- 

I'll post to Dell now - if this infernal external wifi switch DOES exist on my n5050, they should know....

Thanks so much for your quick response, re-directing me.  Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

According to the quick start guide, the F2 key is the only switch/button that turns the wifi on or off.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15-int...

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation