Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop Model 14-cf0051od
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had my laptop for almost two years now, and about a week ago, it started having connectivity issues. My WiFi will randomly disconnect and I will be unable to reconnect unless I restart or shut down my laptop a few times. I know this isn’t a problem with a router, since it has been happening when I’ve been on different networks. When I troubleshoot this issue, the only solution presented is to connect an Ethernet cable to a router. Is there a way I can fix this?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@bizbop Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with Wifi.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here 
I have a few steps to resolve the issue:  

• Since you've already reinstalled drivers, I would recommend using an Ethernet cable (Wired) and update your Wi-Fi drivers using this link  

• Update the bios by visiting this link or through support assistant using an Ethernet cable.  

• Now try to connect to the internet wireless.    

The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello,

I used an Ethernet cable to update all my WiFi drivers as well as the bios, but I still couldn't connect to the Internet. Also, now my touchpad does not work. I then tried using the HP Guided Troubleshooter and found that there was a problem with my Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter. I opened device manager to update this driver, and it found an updated driver that my computer could install, but a message saying "Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them.

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ad PCIe Adapter

This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

How can I connect to WiFi again?

HP Recommended

@bizbop

Thank you for the update.

In that case, please try creating a new user account on your computer.

Go to http://hp.care/2dWJKgW  and follow the steps to create a new user account.

If the issue still persists, perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi again,

I created a new user account which seemed to temporarily solve all of my issues, but today a message popped up saying there was something wrong with my Windows and proceeded to update it. After this update, my problem with WiFi connectivity began again, and the troubleshooter said it was a problem with the same adapter that was having problems before. Before I even created the new user account, I performed a system reset, and the problem still persisted. Is there anything else I should try?

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

@bizbop

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggest you perform the wireless module test

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for the component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose Wireless module and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate a 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I performed the wireless module test and it said I passed. My WiFi still frequently cuts out. Is there another way that I can repair my broken WiFi driver?

HP Recommended

@bizbop

I understand your concerns.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.