Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (336 Views)

Wifi Dropping out regularly - Suspected Driver Problem

Product Name: HP Pavilion 13
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there

Recently, my pc updated, and ever since i have been having a problem with my wifi.

It keeps dropping to 1 or no bars, and when it does this, it is like there is no wifi at all. It completely drops and then returns after a minute or two.

It has started doing this virtually every 5 minutes quite often.

I have tried updating and rolling back the driver (Qualcomm Atheros QCA 9565 802.11) but this did not work.

I do have a vague reccolection of having this problem before (although not as severe) and somehow fixing it (maybe i installed an older driver??)

I have tried lots of common 'fixes' on the forums all with no success including unticking the box in the power management tab in the driver settings.

Can anyone help?? It is virtually making the laptop Unuseable  

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (295 Views)

Re: Wifi Dropping out regularly - Suspected Driver Problem

Hi @Ben999 ,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

Have you attempted a system restore?

Please let me know the exact product number of the computer to assist you further with the relevant steps. :)

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (256 Views)

My product number is J3T78EA#ABU

As in my origional post, i ahve attempted almost all the steps i could find for potential fixes but non worked.

It may also be my new internet router

I have not attempted a system restore but i am concious that i would lose all my apps etc if i did this and then have to redownload them all so i would ideally like this to be a last resort.

Thanks for your help

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (244 Views)

Hi @Ben999,

I have reviewed the post. Thanks for the super quick response. It is great to have you back. As @Barachiel is out for the day, I am taking over from here. You've displayed immense technical flair, brilliant efforts and terrific attitude to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for that. :)

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a windows or software update?
  • Did you check with a hardwired Ethernet cable to see if it goes online on a wired connection?

For a start please try these steps:

• First, check if the computer connects using a hardwired Ethernet cable on a wired connection

If it does please perform these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Network adapters>then select the network drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and wireless network drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions through the hardwired ethernet cable connection.
  • Please select the country and type the product# of the computer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to update the network drivers.
  • Also, follow the prescribed steps from his guided troubleshooter: http://hp.care/2tp5hbc  and that should fix things for you as long as there are no hardware issues with the computer.

try these steps:
Power cycle the network:
1. Shut down your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

• Please perform all the prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2sEZlcM
  • also to try and resolve the issue.
  • Check at a library or at a Wifi hotspot if the computer loses wireless connectivity frequently. if it does not then the culprit could be your router.

Also, try these steps if it is not the router.

1) Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenace > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

2) Double-click Services.

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where it says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

Restart the computer and check if the issue gets fixed.

Try these steps also:

Control Panel > set icon view > Network and Sharing >
Left-Click on your active WiFi connection (in blue next to the word "Connections" >
In WiFi Status >> Click on Properties >
In WiFi Properties >> Scroll down the middle section and look for "Internet Protocol Version 4" >
Left-Click to Highlight the selection > click Properties >
Click to select "Use the following IP Address:" >
Enter your IP address, subnet mask, and gateway information
Click to select "Use the following DNS server addresses"
Click OK to save and exit

Restart / Reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. As a last resort, you could backup your files and perform a system recovery to factory settings from here  http://hp.care/2ijzLar  to ensure that the issue is not software related.

If it still doesn't work, A great workaround would be is to buy a USB wireless dongle from Best Buy or Staples or from Amazon or e-bay and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer. Then connect it to the router to go online. It is very economical and cost-effective and can be ordered for a song.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient. Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. :)

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed week ahead. :)

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation