Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-p184ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

i would like to know if its possible to upgrade my laptop to a wifi card 5Ghz by changing the wifi card adapter. The realtek RTL8723BE only supports 2.4Ghz. My problem is that the most M.2 cards available are INTEL and my board is an AMD A10 5745M.

The other matter is whether this change is possible or block by a Bios  whitelist. 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to chapter 3 of the service manual, your notebook has a wifi adapter that is of the HMC form factor, not M.2.

c04427554 (hp.com)

Your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist that I am aware of.  HP does not provide any info as to which models do or don't.

But what is almost as bad, is your notebook most likely has only one wifi antenna connected to the Realtek wifi/Bluetooth adapter.  If by some fluke it has two, then that is great news for you.

In order for a dual band wifi adapter to have all of its features (speed, range, Bluetooth) work as expected, your notebook must have two antenna cables connected to the card.

Properly adding a second antenna requires extensive disassembly of the notebook including the display panel area to install the second antenna wire and transceiver.  You can find the antenna kit part listed in chapter 3.

Your other option would be to connect the single antenna cable to the dual band wifi card's Main antenna terminal, and hope that the wifi and Bluetooth work half decently.  I cannot tell you what to expect.

You have two options for upgrading to a dual band card in your notebook...

1.  Broadcom BCM 4352 WLAN 802.11 AC+BT4 2x2HMC for AMD HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC  HP part # 724935-005.

This card with two antenna wires attached, has a maximum throughput of 867 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router.

2. Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter  HP part # 730668-001.

This card with two antenna wires attached, has a maximum throughput of 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHZ wifi band with a dual band N or AC router.

You should be able to find either card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to chapter 3 of the service manual, your notebook has a wifi adapter that is of the HMC form factor, not M.2.

c04427554 (hp.com)

Your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist that I am aware of.  HP does not provide any info as to which models do or don't.

But what is almost as bad, is your notebook most likely has only one wifi antenna connected to the Realtek wifi/Bluetooth adapter.  If by some fluke it has two, then that is great news for you.

In order for a dual band wifi adapter to have all of its features (speed, range, Bluetooth) work as expected, your notebook must have two antenna cables connected to the card.

Properly adding a second antenna requires extensive disassembly of the notebook including the display panel area to install the second antenna wire and transceiver.  You can find the antenna kit part listed in chapter 3.

Your other option would be to connect the single antenna cable to the dual band wifi card's Main antenna terminal, and hope that the wifi and Bluetooth work half decently.  I cannot tell you what to expect.

You have two options for upgrading to a dual band card in your notebook...

1.  Broadcom BCM 4352 WLAN 802.11 AC+BT4 2x2HMC for AMD HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC  HP part # 724935-005.

This card with two antenna wires attached, has a maximum throughput of 867 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router.

2. Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter  HP part # 730668-001.

This card with two antenna wires attached, has a maximum throughput of 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHZ wifi band with a dual band N or AC router.

You should be able to find either card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.