Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pallion 15-auo63nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Need help with my wi-fi connection being dropped when I close my HP laptop lid. It takes a few minutes for this to happen.

Environment:
My Laptop is plugged in.

I have multiple monitors connected so I don't need the laptop display to be on.

Troubleshooting Steps taken:

I have already taken the following steps:

1. Made sure I have the latest Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi adapter device driver.
  2.  Made sure, in Power Management, to ensure that in Power Management the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked (not enabled), in both battery and plugged in modes.
  3.  Updated to the latest BIOS from HP.

Please suggest what else I could try.

Thanks

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@chrisV108, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try these steps:

Go to Device manager > select the WIFI drivers under network adapter> Right click go to properties  > Under properties go to Power Management Tab> Uncheck  "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". 

If the issue persists, continue with the below steps: 

• If your computer has a wireless key or button on or near the keyboard and the wireless activity light is off or amber in color, then press the key or button to enable your wireless adapter. This key might be the F10 key, F12 key, or labeled with a symbol of an airplane. 

• If wireless activity comes on or the activity light turns blue, you have enabled wireless on your system. Try connecting to the Internet again. If problems persist, continue using these steps. 

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending windows update. Reboot the computer. 

Let us run a test on the wireless card in the PC

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. Perform Component Test > Network. Share the result on your next post.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Kumar

I have already Unchecked  "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

The wireless connection if fine if the lid is open - the issue arises only after the lid is closed.

I have HP support assistant, and have all the updates for this laptop, including the BIOS.

No Windows updates are pending.

Please suggest some additional solutions

Thanks

HP Recommended

@chrisV108

Thank you for posting back. 

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays.
  5. Wireless Module Test - This test checks that the BIOS detects the wireless module and that it is enabled.

To run the test, click the Wireless Module, and then click Run once.

• The Wireless Module Test takes 30 seconds to complete.

If the test passes, try these steps:

Reinstall the network adapter using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 8, 10)

Reinstall original software or drivers using the HP Recovery Manager. If your PC does not locate the Recovery Manager installed, click the ‘next step’ button below.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Recovery Manager. If prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If prompted by User Account Control to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.
  2. Under Help, click Reinstall drivers and/or applications and wait for Recovery Manager to generate a list.
  3. From the combined list of applications and drivers, with the drivers listed first, select the checkbox next to the drivers you want to reinstall. NOTE: The name of the adapter varies, depending on which one is installed on your PC.
  4. When the Installation is completed message displays, click OK.
  5. Close all open applications, restart your computer, then try connecting to the Internet again.

• From the Start screen, type device manager to open the Search charm, and then select Device Manager from the search results. Double-click Network adapters. Right-click the name of your wireless network adapter, and then select Uninstall.
  • Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03535285 to complete the troubleshooting steps.

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Device Manager and click the top result to open the experience.
  3. Expand the category with the device that you want to roll back.
  4. Right-click the device, and select the Properties option.
  5. Click the Driver tab.
  6. Click the Roll Back Driver button.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI, I followed all the steps you provided. The wireless tests were successful, and using the recovery manager to reinstall the original driver did not make a difference. 

Whenever I close the lid on the laptop, everything else works, but I lose the wifi connection.

Please suggest something else

Chris

HP Recommended

@chrisV108

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your notebook. This could be an issue with the wireless antenna.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.