Honor Student
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

HP Pavillion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My new laptop keeps dropping my internet connection. The wifi works fine on my phone, other laptops, ect, and when i use other networks the laptop drops them too. First it works fine, then it'll tell me that the wifi network has no connection (untrue). i'll disconnect it from the network, attempt to reconnect it, and then the laptop tells me there are no connections available, when in reality there are many. its is getting really frustrating as the only way to resolve this is turing it off and on again, which is driving me insane. any help would be appreciated. 

25 REPLIES 25
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 2 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

i am having same issues. wifi connects only in room with router. all other devices connect throughout house. i did reset and updated drivers and it did not help. all worked fine until 12/31/1

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,419 21,032 1,380 2,180
Message 3 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @bridge95,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your computer’s Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting at random situations, I agree it could be quite annoying dealing with the predicament you are in,

And It’ll be a pleasure to assist you with this.

Here are a few steps to either identify the cause of the failure and/or get you a permanent fix:

Here's a guided troubleshooter that will help fix this issue: Click here

* Perform a bios defaults.

* Please run WiFi diagnostics on your computer.

* Steps to do it: Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

* Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

* The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

* Select component check and run Wi-Fi diagnostics.

* Please check for any electromagnetic interference in the vicinity. (Like microwaves, ACs, and cell phones)

* Please ensure the proximity of the notebook with your router.

* Please disable the Bluetooth driver in device manager and check.

* Please check in safe mode with networking.

* You could also create a new user account to check to further isolate the issue.

* If the wireless card is unresponsive or not detected in the diagnostics, or if the issue still persists after trying all these steps then the Wi-Fi card is faulty and needs to be replaced.

For more steps: Click here

For related post on HP Forums: Click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @donsmitty,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having connectivity issues with your HP Laptop. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

Kudos to you for trying to figure out what needs to be done before posting your question in the HP forums?  You could actually try a few steps to see if this resolves the issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need few more details:

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you made any software or hardware changes on the PC?

When was the last time it worked(Date)?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard Reset

* Since you've already reinstalled drivers, I would recommend using an Ethernet cable (Wired) and update your Wi-Fi drivers using this link

* Update the bios by visiting this link or through support assistant using an Ethernet cable.

* Now try to connect to the internet wireless.

* For further assistance, click here

Here's a related HP Forum post that seemed to have helped others: Click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 5 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

thank you for the reply. i did try the solution you offered. it did not work however.  this laptop seems to have lost the ability to recieve the wireless signal if i go beyond 10 feet of the router. all my other devices recieve a strong signal through the house. the wireless module check on the laptop passed the test.  this just happened 2 weeks ago and i have noticed others posting this issue. any other solutions would be appreciated. thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @donsmitty,

You're Welcome. I appreciate your time and efforts, As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the same issue, Don't worry I'll try my best to help you from here,

You could try to change the channel on the router and check if that helps, Wifi should be set to channels 1, 6 and 11 because otherwise, you will overlap with multiple channels, 

To help you better, What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 7 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Product # K7W81UA#ABA HP 15 Notebook PC. when I am in room with router it still only picks up 1 or 2 bars of signal strength. like i mentioned all other devices get 5 bars of signal throughout the house. this just started about 10 days ago. is there a way to check the ability of laptops wifi card strenght to pick up a signal. the diagnostics tool says its working fine, but when i get 10 feet away it does not see signal. i will check the router channel and reset but do not think it is the correct solution. error message reads problem with wireless adapter or acess point. network cable not properly plugged in. but when i go back into room with router it does connect wirelessly. i have tried to usre HPm site to update drivers and check wifi 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @donsmitty,

Thanks for replying,

As I understand you are still having the issue even after following the steps suggested, don't worry let's try these steps here:

Open CMD as Admin:  Copy the following commands, and press enter after each one.

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

netsh int tcp show global  (Check if All settings have taken effect)

Reboot the PC and then check if it works,

Let me know how it goes for further assistance,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 9 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

sorry to report after trying the latest solution nothing new to report. why would the range change in the wifi cards ability to pick up the signal? it picks it up in a short distance but not more than 8-10 feet. the desk top I am on now is in an upstairs room and is wireless. i get 5 full bars of signal here. this laptop is not even picking up any other signals and i used to see my neighbors sinal from this room as well, this desktop sees a least 4 other signals yet the laptop sees none. any thoughts? thanks for trying, sorry to be a pain. Don

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 10 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

do you think replacing the wifi cardwould fix it??

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation