21,045 20,666 1,348 2,131
Message 11 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @donsmitty,

Thanks for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Before you could go ahead with the replacement, could you provide me with the Model number of the PC as well as the router for further assistance,

Thanks & Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 12 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

hi, it is a HP 15 Notebook PC   Product # K7W81UA#ABA

the ruoter is through AT&T the model is 5268AC

all worked well untill 12/31/2016 thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 13 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @donsmitty,

Thanks for replying,

I did a bit of research and found the product specification, using this link. I see that you have 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN which is a single band Wi-Fi card. 

For further understanding, here's a related HP Forum post which has helped others - Click here

Since it was working fine and suddenly it stopped working, I would suggest you follow the basic troubleshooting, which should help to resolve the issue,

Updating the bios, Wi-Fi drivers from the support website,

If nothing works, I would suggest you run the test on the card from F2

Depending on the test results, If all the test passes, I would suggest you perform the System recovery, which will wipe off everything and set the PC back to the Original factory conditions if this fails either the system file is missing or corrupted. 

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 14 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

thank you for the info. i will try this later today. one scan i read for a third party site claimed the 802.11 wlan had crashed on 12/31/2016. they wanted some $$$ to repair it. i did the HP support tests and HPsaid if was working fine. i will try it later today and get back with you later.  Donsmitty.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 15 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @donsmitty,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 16 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hello Biswajeet, thank you for all your help. i did try the sysrem tests it took 4-5 hours and all systems and components passed.  I did a system retore and nothing changed. I then did a system reset to original settings and that did not help.

my laptop only sees 1-2 bars of signal strength when I am 3 feet from router.  i do not know why the wifi component on this laptop lost its range. i will try and go to the HP support screen and try and get a case number and help from them. if you ever come across another such case please keep me in mind. i will Like you solution based on the effort you put in. Any other help or ideas would be appreciated, thanks, Donsmitty

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 17 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @donsmitty,

Based on the test results and other steps, I would personally suggest this to be a hardware failure. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Let me know how that pans out, 

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 18 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

hello again, i guess after going back to original setting it removed my hp support page with my model and serial number on it. the label on the bottom of the laptop has worn off. how can i find the serial number so i can get my case started with support. thamks

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 19 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

Hi @donsmitty,

Thanks for replying,

I understand you want to know how to find the serial number for your HP laptop, don't worry I'll be glad to help you with this,

Please go through support document - Click here

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any further assistance, I'll be more than happy to help.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 24 0 1
Message 20 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi connection issues

hello, i did find my serial number by reinstalling the support tool. i did get a case number and since my warranty is expired they would not help me unless i signed up for a paid service and said it would be approximately $99 to fix my issue. i declined that offer and  think it is a common issue on the forums. I think  HP should be more willing to help fix it. if you think of any other solutions i could try please keep me in mind. I may have to take the wifi card  out of this laptop in order to get the part number unless you can provide me with it.  thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation