Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15Z touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wifi connection is constantly dropped and if I run a diagnostics test, it says the adapter needed to be reset. This lets the wifi work again, but only for a few minutes-half an hour. I've only had this computer for 2 months, so you can imagine my frustration. The wifi works with all of the other devices in my house without fail. I also lose the wifi connection on the network at school, so this tells me there is an issue with my computer. The adapter I have is Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCLe Adapter. I didn't have any issues with my wifi connection until I did the most recent Windows 10 updates in January. I have since uninstalled all of the updates that I was able to (it wouldn't let me uninstall the security update). I have also tried uninstalling the adapter and restarting my computer which also didn't help. Please let me know what I need to do to fix the issue. 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@revolver_girl Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are having trouble with your internet connection, and I am happy to help with this.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

When your connection is lost, have you checked whether the router is still connected to the internet?

Have you tried power cycling the router?

What do you mean when you say the wireless adapter is reset?

Please post the full product number for your notebook. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Here are some things you can try, assuming the problem is not with the router.

Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows )

Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right-click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the checkmark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Forget the network: (Windows )
1. Press Windows Key + C
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Change PC settings.
4. Click Network on the left.
5. Click Manage known networks.
6. Click the network name.
7. Click Forget.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right-click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right-click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self-explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Let me know how that pans out,
If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,
That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,
Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with an Envy using the same network adapter.  When I try to change the power options of the adapter I do not have a Power Management tab.  What am I doing wrong?  My login is setup as an administrator.

HP Recommended

@ajc6

Please let us know have you performed the previous post steps.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi Paveen - not sure what you mean 'the previous two steps'. 

I have a HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-ds0xxx product ID 00325-96615-48495-AAOEM.  It is less than two months old.  Recently it has been dropping the wi-fi setting several times a day.  I have run the Troubleshhoter which resets the network adapter but to no effect.  When I try to connect under Settings/Status it simply tells me "Unable to connect to this network" - even after I have pressed the connect button on the router.  The router is working as other devices are using it without any problems.

The network adapter is a Realtek RTL 8822BE 802.11acPCle adapter but there is no Power Management tab when I go into Properties.  The tabs are General, Advanced, Drives, Details, Events and Resources.

I am running Window 10 Home v1903.

HP Recommended

@ajc6 

I understand your concerns.

To resolve this issue, download and install the following SoftPaq to update the driver:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp99501-100000/sp99874.exe

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen - download and ran the exe file you linked me to this afternoon.  Everything seemed to be fine until 21:41 UK time, 3 minutes ago.  I was browsing the internet, www.bbc.co.uk, and the network was dropped.  About a minute later it came back up by itself.

An improvement perhaps, but the problem not solved.  Still no Power Management tab.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@ajc6

Please perform the below steps and check.

When your connection is lost, have you checked whether the router is still connected to the internet?

Have you tried power cycling the router?

What do you mean when you say the wireless adapter is reset?

Please post the full product number for your notebook. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Here are some things you can try, assuming the problem is not with the router.

Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows )

Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right-click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the checkmark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Forget the network: (Windows )
1. Press Windows Key + C
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Change PC settings.
4. Click Network on the left.
5. Click Manage known networks.
6. Click the network name.
7. Click Forget.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right-click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self-explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue but only while running on the battery.  I’ve updated drivers, reset adapter, changed power management options, changed the settings to NOT allow system to turn off adapter.  

Wifi works great when plugged in.  Sucks I’m battery. 

HP Recommended

@viscern 

Please provide the product number.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.